Access to Limestone in the winter

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Access to Limestone in the winter

Post by BrookieJunkie »

Can I walk to Limestone lake from Limestone lake road in the winter or am I crazy? Is it doable or is it insane to try? Anyone ever do this before or is it only really possible by sled or atv?
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Access to Limestone in the winter

Post by cgates »

Yes you can walk, it's one hell of a walk
Chris
ginger
Participant
Participant

Post by ginger »

I wouldn't recommend it. I was there 3 weeks ago with an atv and it was not easy to get in with that. There was 6 inches of slush and water on top of the ice.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I *THINK* this is the Limestone I hiked into a couple of Aprils ago, as there are three Limestone lakes all within kind of the same areas. (There's Big and Little Limestone, as well as this Limestone, called just plain-old Limestone).

If so, it was about an hours' hike each way with some really hilly portions, including the access point to the Lake itself (we kind of just had to drop the sled off then slide down in the mud/snow combo that was present that time of year).

I'd label the hike as moderate to difficult, and more the latter if you're pulling/carrying gear.

And thankfully it was a gorgeous day with some great company, 'cause we got skunked. We had TONS of flittering action on the flasher (kind of like smelt, only more timid), but not even one big bar pop up.

But if you like hiking, it's DEFINITELY worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! 8)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Just be aware that while Limestone has been heavily stocked forever, with relatively easy summer access it's never been what you would call a productive lake, even back in the past and definitely not since the bass population has taken off while being well fed with trout fingerlings. Even back in the 70's and 80's it was predominately shore fished and by far the most effective method was chumming and fishing with corn.

So while I wouldn't go as far as to call you crazy for trying, I sure wouldn't waste my time going in there. For around the same distance I think I'd rather walk the power line into Peterwhite, specially being a Brookie Junkie. ;)

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
larrybass
Participant
Participant

Post by larrybass »

cgates wrote:Yes you can walk, it's one hell of a walk
Chris
Yep, it wore me out pretty good. :) lb