Fishing in Quebec

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gaspumper
Participant
Participant

Fishing in Quebec

Post by gaspumper »

Read this from another site

"If anyone is travelling to our beautiful province this spring, please be aware that once again, Quebec is making it known that it is the province that fun forgot.

Our provincial wildlife administration has put into place new measures for the use of baitfish for fishing.

From April 1 until December 20( when ``winter`` fishing season opens) NO LIVE OR DEAD BAITFISH are permitted for fishing. Nothing. Nada. Zero Zilch. This includes store bought herring, smelts, mackerel, anything.

From December 20, until March 31 annually, dead baitfish are permitted for the `` winter `` fishing period.

Also, in shared waterways with other provinces where live bait was legal to use in the winter, it is now prohibited to use any live baitfish to fish in winter or summer.

Here`s the Coles notes,

April 1-December 20- NO BAITFISH ALLOWED FOR FISHING AT ALL.

December 20-March 31- ONLY DEAD BAITFISH ALLOWED.

For anyone that doesn`t speak French, the MFFP (governing body in Quebec for wildlife regs) website is a nightmare. All of the publications and press releases are solely published in French....

hopefully this info will save any visitors from a fine, as our wardens are pretty ticket happy."
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fishing in Quebec

Post by smitty55 »

Tks for the update. IMO they have gone way too far with this when they include store bought frozen fish like Herring, Smelt and even salt water fish like Mackerel which obviously could have no detrimental effect to the ecosystems.
I think they are shooting themselves in the foot big time with these new regs. Do they not realize the massive loss of income they will incur to their tourism industry as I'm sure many fishermen will switch provinces and spend their money elsewhere. I know for sure that I will no longer be buying a Quebec fishing license and I can't even come close to imagining the amount of Americans who will now decide to spend their vacation funds in a more fisherman friendly province.

Here's another example of a local event that will be affected big time. Every year in early May there is a two day fishing derby on Pemichangan and 31 Mile Lakes. It's a pretty busy event that is mainly fished by locals who rely heavily on still fishing with ciscoes/smelt for Lakers. I used to go every year with a bunch of friends and stay at our family cottage on Pemich. The store in Point Comfort would do major business that weekend and the community association would make real good coin from ticket sales and the spaghetti dinner they put on at the end of the derby. Now I would expect this derby to be cancelled and the big losers will be local business and the community.

I also heard at one point that leeches were also to be banned for use but I'm not sure if they are included in the new regs. If so that would really be the nail in the coffin as they are the preferred bait for most of the American Walleye fishermen who come north. I know Billy Bob's bait in North Bay will lose tons of business as will the store in Kipawa, as leech sales were a good source of income every summer.

One last question I would have is if the Quebec government is going to compensate businesses for loss of income due to the new regs. Somehow I doubt it. I feel bad for the outfitters who I'm sure will lose clients. For instance Kipawa Lodge supplies leeches. So will they all switch to worms? Maybe some. Or will worms be the next thing on their hit list? Who knows with this government as there doesn't seem to be much common sense involved.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Forget the fishing regs...I'm not sure how to delete my post. Sorry for hijacking your post. My point was I don't think the Province of Quebec cares about tourism. I know a big group that goes annually to Quebec for Lakers & big Pike that have always brought salted Minnows, with this change after talking to the guy that organizes it I doubt they'll be going. The fellow stated with the cost & now this, they'll go North in Ontario.
Last edited by riverdog on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

I was the original poster of that on IS.

It`s now turned into a French-English speaking debate on there.

I don`t give a rat`s butt if you are bilingual, unilingual, trilingual or whatever. I don`t care if you don`t go to Quebec for whatever reason.

What I do care about is fellow fishermen potentially unknowingly breaking a ridiculous law, and getting a fine, and tarnishing their experience in Quebec.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

smitty55 wrote:One last question I would have is if the Quebec government is going to compensate businesses for loss of income due to the new regs. Somehow I doubt it. I feel bad for the outfitters who I'm sure will lose clients. For instance Kipawa Lodge supplies leeches. So will they all switch to worms? Maybe some. Or will worms be the next thing on their hit list? Who knows with this government as there doesn't seem to be much common sense involved.

Cheers
There`s a small bait shop in Gatineau, just off Fournier blvd. Anyone who`s ever been there knows where I`m talking about. It`s run by an old man who`s passion is fishing. He`s been there for years, and will talk your ear off. One of the nicest and most genuine people you`ll ever meet.

The last time I stopped in, about a month ago, he told me that if Quebec was indeed proceeding with the planned modifications, he`d close up shop.

I do love my province, but for the love of god. They seem to do everything in their power to hurt small businesses instead of help them.
gaspumper
Participant
Participant

Post by gaspumper »

smitty55 wrote:Tks for the update. IMO they have gone way too far with this when they include store bought frozen fish like Herring, Smelt and even salt water fish like Mackerel which obviously could have no detrimental effect to the ecosystems.
I think they are shooting themselves in the foot big time with these new regs. Do they not realize the massive loss of income they will incur to their tourism industry as I'm sure many fishermen will switch provinces and spend their money elsewhere. I know for sure that I will no longer be buying a Quebec fishing license and I can't even come close to imagining the amount of Americans who will now decide to spend their vacation funds in a more fisherman friendly province.

Here's another example of a local event that will be affected big time. Every year in early May there is a two day fishing derby on Pemichangan and 31 Mile Lakes. It's a pretty busy event that is mainly fished by locals who rely heavily on still fishing with ciscoes/smelt for Lakers. I used to go every year with a bunch of friends and stay at our family cottage on Pemich. The store in Point Comfort would do major business that weekend and the community association would make real good coin from ticket sales and the spaghetti dinner they put on at the end of the derby. Now I would expect this derby to be cancelled and the big losers will be local business and the community.

I also heard at one point that leeches were also to be banned for use but I'm not sure if they are included in the new regs. If so that would really be the nail in the coffin as they are the preferred bait for most of the American Walleye fishermen who come north. I know Billy Bob's bait in North Bay will lose tons of business as will the store in Kipawa, as leech sales were a good source of income every summer.

One last question I would have is if the Quebec government is going to compensate businesses for loss of income due to the new regs. Somehow I doubt it. I feel bad for the outfitters who I'm sure will lose clients. For instance Kipawa Lodge supplies leeches. So will they all switch to worms? Maybe some. Or will worms be the next thing on their hit list? Who knows with this government as there doesn't seem to be much common sense involved.

Cheers
From what I read on "IS" you will still be able to use night crawlers and leeches.And cannot use perch eyes.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I really feel for the small businesses that this will impact. :( :( :x
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Gord wrote:I really feel for the small businesses that this will impact. :( :( :x
Yep, and it's been going on for a while already as Quebec seems to continually add more and more restrictions. For example Bob at Les Appats Kazabazua was always a regular stop on the way up 105 for bait and tackle. Good guy. He even made some custom orders of a certain Champ pattern (discontinued of course) for my bud that was buying them by the dozen. It's been 5 years at least now I think since he closed up, though there were certainly some health issues there. Last time I talked to his wife at the house he was gone to Ottawa for tests so I hope he's OK. After that there's the sports store in Gracefield for frozen Cisco, but now they'll lose a pile of visits too. Multiply that across the province and that's a huge hit. All in the name of what...?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

smitty55 wrote:
Gord wrote:I really feel for the small businesses that this will impact. :( :( :x
Yep, and it's been going on for a while already as Quebec seems to continually add more and more restrictions. For example Bob at Les Appats Kazabazua was always a regular stop on the way up 105 for bait and tackle. Good guy. He even made some custom orders of a certain Champ pattern (discontinued of course) for my bud that was buying them by the dozen. It's been 5 years at least now I think since he closed up, though there were certainly some health issues there. Last time I talked to his wife at the house he was gone to Ottawa for tests so I hope he's OK. After that there's the sports store in Gracefield for frozen Cisco, but now they'll lose a pile of visits too. Multiply that across the province and that's a huge hit. All in the name of what...?

Cheers
Bob`s been dead for a few years now.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

qcconnection wrote: Bob`s been dead for a few years now.
Tks for that. That's too bad but I'm not surprised with the heart and circulatory problems he was having. His last couple of years at the store he basically had to sit the whole time.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Don't like it?

No live bait. No dead bait. Don't like it? Don't fish here then.

I go to Ontario and respect their laws and regs. If I go to Iceland, or BC I have to go barbless. I hate it. But that the rules. Who am I to say they are wrong?

Invasive species is a problem all over the world. We don't have many officers and checking to see where people are sourcing their bait is a waste of time. What kind of nightmare would that be trying to prove Barry from Pennsylvania bought their shiners or cisco from a store or if he caught them from tar ponds in NS. Start having to carry DNA testers? Much easier and efficient to simply ban it all.

And as for "Locals" paying for it from loss of tourists?? LOL!!!! Seriously?? One bait shop and a gas station will feel it. But the locals who don't have to see clueless out of province lost mouth breathers blocking traffic and complaining how our province isn't anything like where they're from will have festivals in honor of these new laws.

Ever live in a "Tourist" town? You have a couple of shop owners that like them, but ALL the other locals HATE tourists. Go to a bar in Kazz. See how much they value your presence. LOL!!!!

Seriously.

If where you're from is so great and they do things they way things should be done, then why come to Quebec at all? Why would you ever leave your paradise of sane legislation and proper management of fish stocks and waterways?

Do us all a favor and stay where you think it's so freaking great.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

A little blunt but I agree 100%.

Countless Brook Trout ponds have been destroyed by the introduction of live bait. Mosque Lake near Ompah was strictly a Lake Trout and Brook Trout water. Brookies over 8lbs. were caught. Yellow Perch got into the lake, likely through a bait bucket and the Brook Trout fishery was destroyed. There are still a few lakers left. Even the stocked rainbows are overwhelmed by the perch. The Lake Trout lakes north of Kingston have been irreparably damaged by the use of dead herring to target big trout. The Muskie fishery in Collins Lake north of Kingston has been destroyed by the introduction of Northern Pike likely thru someone trapping baitfish in a local creek. In other areas introduced crappie have destroyed walleye fisheries. None of this touches on diseases that can be introduced.

As someone who grew up in a vacation town I agree sport fishing adds diddly squat to the local economies. Fishermen are cheap. They bring everything with them.
Last edited by ganman on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

holy geez there Craig....I think instead of holding back you should let us know how you feel. :lol:

personally I don't get why this is such a big deal. I go to Quebec every few years for a guys walleye weekend and you can't use live bait so now you can't use dead bait either. leeches. worms. twisters and away you go. going this year first week of June and can't wait.

I've kind of always thought quebec's conservation laws were fine by me. not my place to complain. and if they ever arrive at a state where it is unacceptable to me....I stop going.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Mick wrote:I've kind of always thought quebec's conservation laws were fine by me. not my place to complain. and if they ever arrive at a state where it is unacceptable to me....I stop going.
Exactly.

I get a little wound up when I hear of people coming to MY province and complaining about how things are or what direction that we have it going. We don't want to end like the places people are running from. It's their ideas or laws or way of thinking that has them looking to fish somewhere else. Their way DOESN'T WORK. If it did, you wouldn't be coming here.

Funny how much it reminds me of the thing where people running from another country come to Canada because they ruined or are running their own, and immediately start complaining about it.

Don't like it? Don't come here.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

the river was already complicated....going to make it harder now