Recessed trolling motor tray arrives this week

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Recessed trolling motor tray arrives this week

Post by Alby »

Hey guys,

UPS tracking shows the recessed trolling motor tray I ordered arrives this week.

Not gonna lie to you; I'm a tad bit nervous about punching a hole in the front deck of my Stratos 285 ProXL.

I've done the reading, watched the youtube videos, etc. but i'm sure it'll still be a nerve racking job. I'm a bit of a do-it-yourself guy, and I've got plenty of tools to do the job, but just the thought of cutting a piece of the deck away's got me a bit anxious.

If you have any personal experience, fire away.

Alby
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Recessed trolling motor tray arrives this week

Post by Wallyboss »

I was terrified when I decided to put in more storage space in my boat. I had to cut a hole about 24' x 15" in the floor part of the bow of my boat. But the hatch cover of my new storage area came with really good instructions and a template for the size of the hole. So it didn't end up like some of my construction projects where the saying " Doesn't matter how often you cut it, it's still too short" is said too often.

You'll probably get a template with what you are installing so make sure before you cut.

I have carpet on my boat floor so I just cut a big X in the middle of my hole so I wouldn't have to saw through it. Then I just folded the X inside before putting on my cover.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Recessed trolling motor tray arrives this week

Post by River Monster »

A couple tips for you

First is kind of obvious but double check there are no wires underneath the floor

Another obvious one but placement. actually stand on your deck with the template in place and make sure that's exactly where you want it

if you have full access underneath, slide a box under. its catches saw dust, aluminum shavings or what ever you are cutting into. makes the clean up much easier. and quicker

Finally seal the cut you just made, i'm not sure what your deck is made of, but on mine I had fiberglass over wood. I sealed the cut portion after to stop any moisture from getting in
- Rick Ozga