Spinning vs casting

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Spinning vs casting

Post by lape0019 »

I throw jerkbaits on casting gear only because I invested in a casting rod for that technique and actually really like it. Spinning rods seems to be better suited for this technique.

I also skip and drag tubes with spinning gear. I prefer casting and that is why I have 8 casting and 2 spinning rods. I know some who don't have any spinning rods and others who refuse to use anything but (usually because they don't know how to use a caster).

Truth is, it's strictly personal preference.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

RJ wrote:
scuro wrote:
I'll tell you one thing, you will certainly look out of place in bass tourni with spin gear but many decent southern salt fishermen mainly fish spinning and they are not chucking small jigs so what is up with that?
Slightly off on that one Chris. I bet most tournament anglers rod selection are near 50/50 spin vs baitcasters nowadays. Spinning is almost a necessity in the salt basically due to the need for line capacity, nothing more.

RJ
I agree with RJ. I have maybe (Spinning vs Casting) 40/60 or 30/70 depending of body of water and species fished (smallie vs largie) and that can actually change to 70/30.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I am 60/40 with 27 rods in the garage "At this point" 16 are bait casters, and the rest spinning. Not to mention the 3 float rods with center pins. My wife is more comfortable with a spinning outfit, but then again, she only throws either jerk baits, or senko's 90% of the time in the summer/fall months. And I use spinning outfits for both also. Chris, as per the BC comment, you must be speaking of Northern BC, or The Island. I lived and fished BC's interior off and on for 3 years. It was a 50-50 in area's, but not once was I ever told fly fishing was the dominate gear of choice? I used, both a center pin, and a bait caster on many systems, and local rivers, even lakes. There is "More Fly Shops" than terminal tackle outfitters, but all catered to the everyday angler, and never made say that Fly Fishing was Gold opposed to Silver. Not to side track this post, but as per spinning and casting, Fly rods and Float rods both have their place as well.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

RJ wrote:
scuro wrote: Spinning is almost a necessity in the salt basically due to the need for line capacity, nothing more.
RJ
With the newer spincasting reels the incredibly smooth and powerful drag is the main selling point.
...anything to bend the rod
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

lape0019 wrote:I throw jerkbaits on casting gear only because I invested in a casting rod for that technique and actually really like it. Spinning rods seems to be better suited for this technique.

I also skip and drag tubes with spinning gear. I prefer casting and that is why I have 8 casting and 2 spinning rods. I know some who don't have any spinning rods and others who refuse to use anything but (usually because they don't know how to use a caster).

Truth is, it's strictly personal preference.

I think that's the kicker here. It depends on what technique is being used. Just so happens I watched an episode of Angling Edge last night where Al Lindner and Jeremy Smith were "Jerking for Smallies" Both were using medium power extra fast action spinning outfits with braid (critical). In the 12-15 minute part they explain the outfits and why they were using them over casting outfits as well.
http://www.waypointtv.com/#!/view/episo ... 7-smallies

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter