Brown Trout

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
michael601
Participant
Participant

Brown Trout

Post by michael601 »

Hello,
Anyone know of any Brown Trout lakes in Algonquin Park? I've fished all the lakes in the Ottawa area where there are stocked brownies (according to Fish-on-Line) but no luck.
Thanks.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Re: Brown Trout

Post by Nyarlathotep »

There are no lakes with brown trout in the Park.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/fishstocking.pdf

Billy Lake was stocked with rainbows in the 70's and early 80's, but was switched over to splake.

Some local streams (Findlay, Poole and Shields creeks) and the Ottawa River are stocked with brown trout, but the fisheries are marginal and hit or miss.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Don't waste your time in the ottawa area trying to catch Brown trout head up to the port hope area, fish some tributaries or cross over and enjoy new York state.

Nothing in algonquin that I know of with brown trout in it.

Fish Online can be a great resource but there are also a lot of lakes on there that are misleading and don't have the species in them that is claimed fyi.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Yep, no browns in the Park and no overly productive brown trout fishing near Ottawa unless you hit it after the stock which isn't much fun IMO. Check out upstate NY's stocking list, they put stock many of the rivers. Good fishing close to malone and Lake placid and north of watertown.
xbowhunter
Participant
Participant

Post by xbowhunter »

West Quinn Lake. Not in the park but in the Madawaska Highlands area. Used to be stocked with specs. MNR changed to browns about 3 or 4 years ago. I've fished it when they stocked it with specs. It's along ways back in the bush. You will want an atv and still have to walk a bit.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Browns in Algonquin Park would be an invasive species and definite no no. :shock:

I believe there are browns in Summit Lake near Ompah as well. I have not heard anyone doing very well for them in any Madawaska Highland ponds. It may be because the browns Ontario stock are from the Ganaraska River. They do very well in rivers though.

Closest place to Ottawa would be the Salmon River at Malone. Also there is the Chateauguay River near Huntington Quebec.

http://tucanada.org/chateauguayriver/
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

xbowhunter wrote:West Quinn Lake. Not in the park but in the Madawaska Highlands area. Used to be stocked with specs. MNR changed to browns about 3 or 4 years ago. I've fished it when they stocked it with specs. It's along ways back in the bush. You will want an atv and still have to walk a bit.
To think at one time you could actually drive a 4x4 truck into the Quinns. Then the roads got real torn up and rocks turned into mountains. Now I don't know if you even get a quad into South Quinn, but west was generally a much easier tour as there was actually a hunting camp on the lake called Kelfords. I doubt there's much left of it anymore.

Ganman you're right about Summit. It's always had Browns in it but they never seemed easy to catch. They stocked over 4000 in it last year.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Robebrz
Participant
Participant

Post by Robebrz »

We hike into Reid every summer and have fished the area during winter. I want to try the quinns out at some point. Is it possible to hike in off of Reid or am I better off going during winter so I can use the atv? Also saw longbay gets a ton of brook stocked every year. Doesn't look like you can drive in to that one either or am I missing a small trail?
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

To think at one time you could actually drive a 4x4 truck into the Quinns. Then the roads got real torn up and rocks turned into mountains. Now I don't know if you even get a quad into South Quinn, but west was generally a much easier tour as there was actually a hunting camp on the lake called Kelfords. I doubt there's much left of it anymore.

Ganman you're right about Summit. It's always had Browns in it but they never seemed easy to catch. They stocked over 4000 in it last year.

Cheers[/quote]

Your mixing up south and west smitty, still a camp on South and it's much easier to get to then West, also a camp on North I'm in the area often enough. Trails got torn up with the off road jeeps ripping threw there, they blame the atvs it's a never ending blame game.

Summit is a waste of time for the most part, stocked with a good amount every few years and never hear of anything worthwhile being caught, I don't consider catching fingerlings after being stocked a good fishery.

Troutskiii
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Troutskiii wrote:Your mixing up south and west smitty, still a camp on South and it's much easier to get to then West, also a camp on North I'm in the area often enough.
Yep, you're right, I was mixed up there. It's been a long time lol. I had to phone up a good buddy to get me straightened out. :oops: It was north we used to fish as a buddy of ours had left a boat in there, but it would be shot now as it was leaking and the transom was spongy. Once we brought one in but it was a major chore to slide it down the steep hill and even worse to winch it back up. Kelfords camp was on north and there was also a gang from Kingston that had a camp there as well and they used to use a Volkswagen dune buggy for the long slow crawl in along the north shore.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
BG68
Participant
Participant

Post by BG68 »

What about Anna Lake? I see that it is stocked with browns. Its right off of Hwy 65 Centennial Lake Road (south of hwy 41 and west of Black Donald lake). I haven't figured out the best way to get into it but the north end of the lake has some crown land around it. Anybody ever try that lake? Or have an idea as to the best way to access it?
Thanks
BG68
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

BG68 wrote:What about Anna Lake? I see that it is stocked with browns. Its right off of Hwy 65 Centennial Lake Road (south of hwy 41 and west of Black Donald lake). I haven't figured out the best way to get into it but the north end of the lake has some crown land around it. Anybody ever try that lake? Or have an idea as to the best way to access it? ThanksBG68

Notice how the shoreline is all grey in the north end. To me that indicates that it's not crown land around the shoreline. But seeing that it's a stocked lake there should be some public access allowed somewhere but it's sure not shown there. I would suggest contacting the ministry to find out for sure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
streamfisher93
Participant
Participant

Post by streamfisher93 »

4000 stocked in Anna lake in 2015, dunno about last year, but any access would have to be from crownland probably hiking through the bush i would assume.
Do what you love and let it kill you, we are all floatin down the river of life may as well fish until the ride ends.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Here's a couple from Poole Creek, circa 2008/2009. They were caught in the spring and late fall. If you get your stealth on big time.....you've got a shot. :wink: :wink:
Attachments
pbbrown2.jpg
pbbrown2.jpg (229.69 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
winterbrown.jpg
winterbrown.jpg (161.07 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

One of my favorite short videos. Damsels in Distress. Wonderful photography. Enjoy

Couldn't embed it. https://vimeo.com/85147880

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter