Mid March till May what to do?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kanabetrumpet
Participant
Participant

Mid March till May what to do?

Post by kanabetrumpet »

Hey Everyone,

As the ice fishing season seems to be coming to an end I was just wondering, what do people do between now and May in the Ottawa area? Do you fish open water once the ice starts breaking up or do you just wait it out till bass and pike opens in June?

Cheers,

KT
Cheers,

KT (I don't care what kind of fish it is, I'm just glad to catch it)
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Mid March till May what to do?

Post by Out4trout »

Looking at an early ice out in my locale, could be launching in 2 weeks based on the forecast. I can see the open water already, only a few more warm days and the launch will be available. Spring crappie become predictable as they prepare to move shallow. Still a few more weeks for pike, they are staging, but I am not chasing them this spring.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Actually you do not have to wait that long. Around Ottawa (except the Ottawa river (zone 12)), Pike and Walleye open May 13th this year. May 19th on the Ottawa river. Before that bottom fishing for Catfish and Suckers with worms on the Ottawa river is a blast and I used it fir the first time last year to fill in the break. My first open water catfish last year was April 21 but it can be earlier if you find the right spot.

I have narrowed my non-fishing season in the spring to a few weeks. i always find late October to Ice the worst. Depending on the fall you can spend a LOT of time fishing with little catching.

Good luck!

Rod
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

As soon as the launches open up, panfish and catfish to keep you busy and maybe a road trip or two for some steelhead!
xbowhunter
Participant
Participant

Post by xbowhunter »

Lake O around Amherst Island for giant lakers.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

I get a can or two of real worms and a few small jigs and take a drive along to some good shore spots I know of. I catch some panfish and crappys. It takes the edge off nicely. I do not frequent those spots when my boat comes out in early May. It gives me a nice bonus and mixture for fishing.
Good Early fishing 8)
Dave
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

catfish are fun, but xbowhunter is so right! but shh dont tell everyone! too bad the launch is iced in at the moment. was out there in Feb, great day..
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Peron wrote:Actually you do not have to wait that long. Around Ottawa (except the Ottawa river (zone 12)), Pike and Walleye open May 13th this year. May 19th on the Ottawa river. Before that bottom fishing for Catfish and Suckers with worms on the Ottawa river is a blast and I used it fir the first time last year to fill in the break. My first open water catfish last year was April 21 but it can be earlier if you find the right spot.

I have narrowed my non-fishing season in the spring to a few weeks. i always find late October to Ice the worst. Depending on the fall you can spend a LOT of time fishing with little catching.

Good luck!

Rod
Great suggestion. I'll have to try fishing in the Ottawa river more this year. I did a lot of fishing in the Rideau River and Canal last year. Never really got around to targeting Cats