Bungalow wrap-up and March Break in God's Country

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Bungalow wrap-up and March Break in God's Country

Post by Yannick Loranger »

With the wacky March weather, we ended up pulling the plug on Bungalow season 2016 on March 6th. A little sooner than I had hoped but with my ice road barely solid after the previous thaw, I had a short window to pull huts off on solid ice before another warm spell and I decided to sacrifice the last weekend of the season to save potential headaches. Our season was a huge success. Our busiest winter by far. The ball is rolling on a new 20x12 bungalow for 2018.
As usual, the fishing was hot early in the season. One group from Barrie was setting hooks every time I glanced at them. They were a joy to watch work the drop off. They released a couple sows and kept enough for a fish fry.

Eater size walleye were the norm for those jigging the drop off mid-day early in the season.

There's pride in size, but fun in numbers:

There was a veritable epidemic of these this winter which were wildly popular with my southern Ontario guests:

These guys were plentiful this year as well:

Those who targetted the toothy critters were generally treated to one flurry of activity a day:

The night time walleye bite turned on towards the end of the season:

Then there was this guy:

An early retreat from the bungalow game meant a longer March Break up north with the kids. The first few days of the Break were brutally cold in New Liskeard, but we were able to get out to Sutton Bay on Lake Temiskaming to enjoy the last day before the bay becomes a sanctuary. The fishing was steady without being spectacular. Suprisingly my 6 year old, Jack, insisted on staying until dark! He was rewarded with the feeling of his first big fish. Unfortunately, he lost a very cute tug of war with a large pike. He was however thrilled that we got enough for fish fry the next night.

Towards the end of the week, I headed to Lake Abitibi to for a 2 day boys trip with my dad, uncle, and a couple other lads. This year's trip was confirmation that the section of Lake Abitibi we fish isn't what it used to be. We ended up keeping 14 walleye in 2 days. Most of which were decent size but the spots that have been productive for us for the 25 years are now littered with ice huts and just aren't what they used to be. Reports from more secluded parts of the lake have us looking at a new game plan for March 2018.

I have a month to work on new ice hut builds before turkey opener. Bookings are coming in nicely for our summer season. Come on Spring!!
Tight lines.
Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Bungalow wrap-up and March Break in God's Country

Post by CBB »

Congrats on a great season and some great pics along with the write up. Nice to get away for some fun when you get a chance and you did it with success.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Hard to break with tradition and not go back to comfortable old habits when it comes to established fishing spots!!

Good luck venturing out next year on the big lake!!

Nice report and that topless guy's nipples are small and lopsided. He should start a "Go Fund Me" campaign to have the fixed.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Already looking for ward to next year !
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Greta stuff Yan. Happy to hear ya got em off safe.

RJ