Early Season Brookies in Algonquin

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Early Season Brookies in Algonquin

Post by emeraldpirate »

Good day all,

Planning a Canoe trip in Algonquin Park early season for some Brookies accessing the park through Brent side rd. to Cedar lake. I've been several times fishing in the Carl Wilson Lake area with moderate success and would welcome any suggestions for different lakes to try in the area.

Thanks all
Robebrz
Participant
Participant

Re: Early Season Brookies in Algonquin

Post by Robebrz »

When are you planning on going up? I have a trip planned just north of plevna in a couple weeks. I have been watching the Algonquin ice reports and looking at their live camera. It still looks like there is a lot of ice up there. But it sounds like it will be burning off pretty quick especially with the rain and warm weather.
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Depending on the ice situation we're planning on the end of April. Trout season opens on the weekend of the 19 th this year. With moderate success in the past I'm/we're debating on possibly delaying until mid May my reasoning is the bugs would be out and the fish more active. Any info on success rate by waiting a few weeks would be appreciated.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I think the park opens on the 21st of April this year. That's about as early as it can open, and there will likely be some big lakes still iced over or snow on the portages.
I have gone in that early in the past and had OK success, but generally I found the fishing better between May 1 to Mothers day. Fishing always seemed to be best on the way or day out when the bugs were starting to swarm.
The deeper you go in the park, the better the fishing. It's a long haul from Cedar but up the Nippissing to Nadine, Osler and Little Osler is a fantastic trip.