Storm Drain Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Storm Drain Fishing

Post by Tweed »

Hello all,

I have finally registered on the forum and wanted to thank all the members for the great posts. I have been using fish-hawk for some time as a reader and have learned about some great spots and techniques. Many thanks.

I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck fishing the storm drains in Ottawa. I pulled a bass (maybe 1-2lbs) out of a storm drain in Stittsville last year. I am a shore fisherman and try to find spots to fish on the weekdays when I'm jones-ing to get out on the water.....and then came storm drain fishing.

Anyone else had any luck doing the same ?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Storm Drain Fishing

Post by zippyfx »

I have tried a couple of Storm Water facilties. They can be good for micro fishing but I have caught sunfish, carp and bullhead in one in particular one near my home.

In another facility near our home I saw 12 dead walleye (of reasonable size that had gotten caught in the flow) and perished.

I had seen a number reliable reports of Pike and Musky is some facilities off the Rideau.

Also of interest to me are city ponds with fish.... There is one near my home beside a park where the kids can catch large creek chub, sunfish and we even caught a good sized perch once.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Thanks for the info. That's unfortunate about the walleye.

I am also very interested in the ponds around Ottawa. I always get super jealous watching youtube videos of the anglers in southern states pulling 5 pound bass out of these tiny ponds ! A man can dream....

Even find a pond with some good sized perch would be awesome.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Check out the pond behind Brown's Independent Grocers in Stittsville. It's full of largies and ya might even get the odd brown trout in there as well, as Poole Creek flows in and out of it.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Right on. Thanks for the tip !