Spring Catfish countdown!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spring Catfish countdown!

Post by Peron »

I have started the catfish hunt and so far nothing. My goal this year is to beat my April 21st date last year. Gobs of worms at a reliable spot. I am fishing about .5hrs before sunset to about 1hr after right now. Main problem now is the pack ice that seems to come along shore in the evening. No confirmed bites yet but I will probably head out every couple of days when the weather is nice.

Yes, I know it is a bit early but I cannot complain about watching the sun set over the Ottawa River.

Any other catfish hunters, please post when the bite starts!

Thanks,

Rod
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Spring Catfish countdown!

Post by CBB »

Hopefully this rain warms things up a bit and fish start to move in and good luck on the catfish hunt
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Cats are a blast and guests love them! I was be chasing them as well as soon as I can get the boat on the river. 8-)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Rod when you say catfish do you actually mean bullhead/barbotte? If so my cue to go is always when the worms are up and the dandelions are starting to bloom. I used to fish for them in Taylor creek for many years back when you could park on the highway. Best nights to go were when the habs were playing in the playoffs as the crowds were way down then. :) We did catch them early one year though when the river was still frozen but the creek open. We walked out as close to the ice as we could get in the flooded grass being very careful to keep track of the creek edge, so we were standing in 10" of water. There were others fishing off the culvert and a few more along the dry shoreline of the creek, but we were the only ones to catch any barbot. So the fish were starting to stage near the creek mouth but hadn't yet started to move into the creek at all.
I stuck a pitchfork in my garden yesterday and it just bounced out, but with the weather over the next while things will thaw out quick I figure and I'll soon be checking for the wild leeks to start poking out.

Good luck trying.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

I have not been out in years for cat, but will be out this year. I always went near the end of April, or start of May. I hit them at all times of the day, but had best results on cloudy days. Not sure why, but was always fun. I always fished down near Glen Walter in one of the creaks, or the Raisin River just west of the peanut line.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

hmmm... April 21st eh, My best is April 23rd. Sounds like we are going for bragging rights. 8)

I know a good place to catch them on ice out in the east end but it's too far from my place to just pop over.

I have got a good spot in the west end I can hit if the ice is out and the creek runoff is warm.

Let the games begin! :lol:
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

smitty55 wrote:Rod when you say catfish do you actually mean bullhead/barbotte?
Ottawa river channel cats!
zippyfx wrote:hmmm... April 21st eh, My best is April 23rd. Sounds like we are going for bragging rights. 8)

I know a good place to catch them on ice out in the east end but it's too far from my place to just pop over.

I have got a good spot in the west end I can hit if the ice is out and the creek runoff is warm.

Let the games begin! :lol:
Indeed!!! Photographic proof required but I don't think we need the "kidnapping" newspaper to prove the date! :lol:
Joshfisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Joshfisher »

Caught a small rideau cat thru the ice in early march. Going to my best spot this weekend where my buddy pulled a nice one out last night. They areout if you know where to look.

Good luck
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

3rd week of April will be game on at creek mouths is my bet. Going to have to dedicate one evening of lawn chair sitting!

RJ
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

My pop always told me the Cats will be biting just before you start to see the dandy lions. I thought he was pulling my leg when he told me, but its true. Pay attention this year and you'll see ;)
Rob
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

Rob wrote:My pop always told me the Cats will be biting just before you start to see the dandy lions. I thought he was pulling my leg when he told me, but its true. Pay attention this year and you'll see ;)
Rob
Must be a grandfather thing. Mine said before the weeds grow, and the heat starts to much at night.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

BINGO! 3:52 pm on April 11th
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 5277 times
About 10 minutes after I had bait in the water. Naturally I had to sit there for another hour before I got another bite. Two missed fish in a row before I landed one more at 5:30. I really would have liked to stay since the bite appeared to be picking up but then unfortunately the river decided I had to start hooking these:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 5277 times
Ice is nice but water is wonderful! I am happy to be back in business again.

Rod
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I am priming my canoe, hoping to hit some of the calmer parts of the Ottawa this weekend... maybe...
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

Seem people out near Cornwall yesterday on my way to and from work. After Easter I hope to get out and try some luck
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Nice work Peron!