eating downtown fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
brent86
Participant
Participant

eating downtown fish

Post by brent86 »

Hi,

I do a lot of fishing in the downtown Ottawa area (Canal, Dow's, Victoria island, Bate Island, Billing Bridge etc.) and I always through back. This year I'm thinking of keeping a couple. Anyone out there eat/not eat Catfish, Bass, Walleye, Panfish in any of these areas and can offer an opinion on eatibility?
streamfisher93
Participant
Participant

Re: eating downtown fish

Post by streamfisher93 »

I believe the ontario ministry of environment released an interactive map/rating guideline thing for eating fish in different areas of ontario, should be on their site somewhere. As for myself I would recommend eating anything in the warmers months in that area atleast, i personally don't know if i'd eat fish from that area but i pretty much only eat trout so what do i know lol.

best of luck
Do what you love and let it kill you, we are all floatin down the river of life may as well fish until the ride ends.
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mitch »

scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Catfish - Yummy in the 2lb range especially in spring. Quick slice just through the skin along the spine and behind the head then peel it like a banana, cut the fillets off the sides. Taste can be a bit strong, varies a lot from place to place (sometimes within just a kilometer).

Bass, walleye - yum, 'nuff said.

Drum - Can be eaten, but fish needs to be kept alive until just before you clean/cook it. Only good if hot (I like it BBQ). Meat is like a salt-water fish, large flaky chunks.

Panfish - I generally don't keep them PITA. The few crappie I have caught would be an exception except the ones I catch around here are too small to bother.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Seems to be a personal opinion and this subject surfaces like a hard to flush turd every year.

This is the only safe place to eat fish in my opinion anywhere near Ottawa/Gatineau: Safe FIsh
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

cprince wrote:Seems to be a personal opinion and this subject surfaces like a hard to flush turd every year.

This is the only safe place to eat fish in my opinion anywhere near Ottawa/Gatineau: Safe FIsh
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Considering some of the horror stories you hear of those fish farms from China and the contaminants they find in those fish that flood our markets I wouldn't worry about a few Ottawa river fish. I would be more concerned with the eating quality of the meat with fish caught from warm summer water, some worse than others. Spring time fish will be best for sure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Sir Lumbo
Participant
Participant

Post by Sir Lumbo »

I usually only eat trout, walleye, and an odd bass or pike from a clean lake.

I would caution eating anything out of the ottawa river south or east of constance/shirleys bay. I'm sure people have and are fine just preference. Obv watch for worms in flesh later summer months in bass and pike.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

cprince wrote:Seems to be a personal opinion and this subject surfaces like a hard to flush turd every year.

One of the funniest things I've ever read in here was a heated exchange of opinions by two Moderators on the table quality of Ottawa River fish. It was absolutely hilarious, but I think they got called to the principals office because all of a sudden they were best buds, giving high fives, butt slappin' and having a fish fry.....
Dobyns Army member
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

DropShot’r wrote: One of the funniest things I've ever read in here was a heated exchange of opinions by two Moderators on the table quality of Ottawa River fish. It was absolutely hilarious, but I think they got called to the principals office because all of a sudden they were best buds, giving high fives, butt slappin' and having a fish fry.....
Hey now, I'll eat fish from tne Ottawa but I never slapped that butt!

I'll usually bring home a couple limits a month of 13-15" walleye for the family or a couple 3-4lbs pike. Like anything else, in moderation it's fine.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Yannick Loranger wrote:
DropShot’r wrote: One of the funniest things I've ever read in here was a heated exchange of opinions by two Moderators on the table quality of Ottawa River fish. It was absolutely hilarious, but I think they got called to the principals office because all of a sudden they were best buds, giving high fives, butt slappin' and having a fish fry.....
Hey now, I'll eat fish from tne Ottawa but I never slapped that butt!

I'll usually bring home a couple limits a month of 13-15" walleye for the family or a couple 3-4lbs pike. Like anything else, in moderation it's fine.

X2!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/