Fun Night on the Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fun Night on the Ottawa

Post by scarkner »

Headed to Britannia Park on Friday which was both a good and bad thing.

The great weather brought people out in droves to enjoy the sun, run around the park and just get outside! It was crowded, noisy, busy and fun (only downside was that some of the random kids that stopped by were pretty exhausting...)

Fishing was therefore only for the extroverts as a long line of curious people approached us all night. I was the first to arrive around 4pm, not expecting much given that past experience told me the cats bite later when the weather is cold. Not so tonight!

After elbowing past lots of people (yeah, ok, i'm Canadian so you know I was polite) I eventually managed to stake out at spot at the end of the point and by 5:30 we had a couple guys fishing and the first cat on the rocks! The cats continued to hit hard until about a half hour before sunset. Just when we thought that the bite would increase, it dropped off! We started to get what we assumed were walleye/sauger bites. One member of the group actually landed a silver sauger with dark black spots. It was bright silver, almost purple on it's belly. The prettiest sauger I have ever seen. Sorry, no photo!

Since our setups were for catfish, we continued to get sharp tapping hits like Walleye, with no hookups (which was probably good). Likely because the fish could see and feel the big cat hooks we had on!

Was great fun to talk to all the kids and adults that came by to check out what we were doing. Even had a couple people out that had never fished for Catfish before.

By sunset we had 10 people at the point (8 fishing) and a growing bucket of fish. Around 9pm, after about 2 hours of nothing, it was time to pack up. As is often the case, as we were reeling in the rods we got one last hit and it was the largest catfish of the night and a great way to end things.

Overall a great night of fishing, freindship and inspiring kids (and some adults) to get fishing!

Which fish is bigger?

Took a few home (this was all the fish kept for the entire group, so please no armchair C.O. comments...)

A movie. MP4, may take a while to load. A group of kids looking at the fish. We had great cheer-leaders!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/653 ... 4_x264.mp4

Finally, a movie of a double-header, complete with cheer-leaders shouting encouragement...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6538077/daboys5.mp4
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fun Night on the Ottawa

Post by Peron »

Awesome stuff guys! My jealousy drove me out to the same location while the sun was shining early today. Expected nothing but some relaxation but I had four cats within an hour including a net weighed 5 pound fish. Wind picked up, bite dropped off and the sun went behind the clouds so I called it a day.

However I think Catfish season has begun!!!

Rod
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Nice....a little huck finn'n style with the white bucket....i like it. How'd those catfish fry up?
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

It was a good time. Good company. And a good bite.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice congrats on the nice day out!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice to see you fellas getting out and had some action. Tis the season!

RJ
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

That looks like a lot of fun. I've never gone fishing for just cat fish but can definitely see the draw to it. Any other good spots that I can get to without a boat?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Find a spot on the shore of the Ottawa... Throw bait... Repeat.

Outings are often posted on Facebook " 613 fishing"
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

What a nice spot to sit and enjoy a fish. Always love the sunsets there. Looks like fun was had by all, thanks for sharing.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Looks like you guys had a great day out there.