Catfish Aren't Just Scavengers

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Catfish Aren't Just Scavengers

Post by scarkner »

Most people on this site will probably agree that Catfish are not exclusively scavengers, but certainly the general public would probably think of them that way which is why, perhaps, so many people are surprised that they make such good sport fish!

I have always believed that Catfish tend to become more of a top-predator the larger they get. Certainly I always catch the largest catfish on minnows compared to worms.

But tonight was the first time I saw some really good proof... this catfish was perhaps 10 pounds, and inside its mouth was a smaller catfish. Certainly this big gal was an utter pig, there's no way she should have swallowed my bait since her throat was already plugged up with a 1/2 pound cat!!!

Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Catfish Aren't Just Scavengers

Post by Daboss »

I've caught cats on everything, cranks, plastics, bottom to top of the water column!
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

I've had them hit spinner baits rattle traps ...and big minnows that just hit the water ..
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Most fish will eat anything that will fit in their mouth, catfish are no exception. If that is 10 lbs it's a great fish for the Ottawa River.

RJ
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

RJ wrote:Most fish will eat anything that will fit in their mouth, catfish are no exception. If that is 10 lbs it's a great fish for the Ottawa River.

RJ
I didn't weight it, so I could certainly be way off, but it was one of the largest I have caught in several years. It was an odd night because usually I get one or two big ones and a lot of small ones... instead I got the exact opposite with lots of large ones and only two small ones.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice catch! Intersting find!

Catfish are top of the food chain predators. They are powerfull, quick, and strong....

They have a reputation of inhabiting sluggish backwaters but they are physilogically designed to live and thrive in strong current where they lashout quickly at unsuspecting fish.

A Rodney "No Respect" Dangerfield type of fish.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

zippyfx wrote:Nice catch! Intersting find!

Catfish are top of the food chain predators. They are powerfull, quick, and strong....

They have a reputation of inhabiting sluggish backwaters but they are physilogically designed to live and thrive in strong current where they lashout quickly at unsuspecting fish.

A Rodney "No Respect" Dangerfield type of fish.
They even look like Rodney Dangerfield with those big buggy eyes... Never noticed that before! ;) :P
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

I was talking to few on the weekend about catfish, and most said they will not wast their time. Me, I am the opposite. I like the early fishing season, and how you have to try to outsmart them. I also like how they fight. Great sports fish in my opinion.