Trout fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Msimard12
Participant
Participant

Trout fishing

Post by Msimard12 »

The fourth weekend in April is quickly aproaching, does any one have plans to get out for some trout this weekend. I'm considering driving down to couborg, though I've never been there before so it would be more of a fishING reconisance for me. As for stocked lakes I genearly fish them later in the season, would they be of decent size, got a couple bow lakes in greater Madawaska which might be a nice place to start the season.
Bytownblue
Participant
Participant

Re: Trout fishing

Post by Bytownblue »

Hi,
You may want to consider trying Wellington instead.
Launch, get out of the harbour, turn left, bounce fat raps of wally divers in 6-8' of water.
Lots of laker's
More info, PM me.
BTB
spyman48
Participant
Participant

Post by spyman48 »

Lakers? More Brown's I think.
Msimard12
Participant
Participant

Post by Msimard12 »

Generally I go for bows, just haven't found a nice cool honey hole yet, done ... many hours of research on the calabogie area been to countless lakes there, I have caught stuff but I cant help but think there's somewhere deeper I'm not walking or looking.
Msimard12
Participant
Participant

Post by Msimard12 »

Does anyone have experience with bottle lake?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Bottle Lake has been deemed no longer "stockable" for Specks as someone put Largemouth Bass in the lake, don't waste your time.

Sad as that is where I caught my first Speck ever.

RJ
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

My nephew got his first spec outta there a few years back too. We were roasting hot dogs on a fire when his bell went off. One of my favorite memories, he must have been only 3 or 4. Like RJ indicates though I wouldn't waste my time, never had a banner day there myself.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:Bottle Lake has been deemed no longer "stockable" for Specks as someone put Largemouth Bass in the lake, don't waste your time.

Sad as that is where I caught my first Speck ever. RJ
Wasn't aware of that. Why the hell would someone intentionally put bass in a trout lake? Take a lake like Limestone that is full of bass but they still put thousands of Bows in it every year. Maybe with their limited resources they aren't aware of what is in many of our lakes.

That being said I do know of one stocked trout lake that had Walleye intentionally put in. They grew well on stocked trout for many years before the MNR finally stopped stocking it after some concerned folks contacted them.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Msimard12
Participant
Participant

Post by Msimard12 »

Probably just hit up one of the usual spots, at worst I've got some time for beer and relaxation, it's too bad mnr is wasting resources like that, would be better to stock higher numbers in one of the sccessful lakes.I'm sure there's a stream within all those lakes that has my name on it.

Itd be nice to get my fly rod out some where but have yet to find somewhere with some good water movement.

Do the guys on here ever do club meets or group fishing ?
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

RJ wrote:Bottle Lake has been deemed no longer "stockable" for Specks as someone put Largemouth Bass in the lake, don't waste your time.

RJ
there's a bunch of here'say in the area also about a fellow who bought half the property down around the back half of the lake and is real anal 'bout people being there. i was there two years ago with the canoe and this guy came out cursing at me in french, saying im on his land and how hes a cop from the quebec side. its a real shame about bottle :( my g-pa and uncle would always tell me that the biggest brookie that they each have caught was in Bottle Lake. The struggle is real....lol
~SKOAL~
Msimard12
Participant
Participant

Post by Msimard12 »

Yeah that absolutely sucks, I'll keep at my Research. Heard some rumours south leg of clyde might have some. Problem with research is normally the ones you find info about every one and there dog know about.

Best bet is probably finding a lake with naturally occurring trout species out there by accident or a nice fellow fiSherman.

There's a nice quarry about an hour from ottawa that I went to last year that gets stocked bit it's over fished and empty by end of June.
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

Msimard12 wrote:Yeah that absolutely sucks, I'll keep at my Research. Heard some rumours south leg of clyde might have some. Problem with research is normally the ones you find info about every one and there dog know about.
the south branch is known about, but i dont know of too many people that want to fight for their lives :x with the bugs that reside in the world of the south branch. you can find rainbows down there and the odd brown. happy trails
~SKOAL~
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Msimard12 wrote:Probably just hit up one of the usual spots, at worst I've got some time for beer and relaxation, it's too bad mnr is wasting resources like that, would be better to stock higher numbers in one of the sccessful lakes.I'm sure there's a stream within all those lakes that has my name on it.
Stocking more Brook Trout doesn't work. The best Brook Trout ponds have BT and only BT in them, no minnows or competing species. They do just fine on bugs, leeches etc. It isn't that bass eat trout its a case of them outcompeting them for existing food. Perch, smelt and even Golden Shiners have the same effect. In bigger northern waters brook trout occur alongside other species because they have there own space within the water system.

A typical BT pond supports about 5-10 lbs. of trout per acre. That's 5 - 10 one pounders or a couple of big ones or 20 half pounders. Most ponds are between 10 - 50 acres in size. Do the math...not a lot of fish.

Regs should be no bait, no ice fishing, single hook barbless lures, catch limit of 3 trout. And stock wild strain fingerlings in the fall (after loons and ospreys have left) near shoreline cover. Not domestic stocks dumped into the middle of the lake.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

FISHIN'LANARK wrote:

RJ
there's a bunch of here'say in the area also about a fellow who bought half the property down around the back half of the lake and is real anal 'bout people being there. i was there two years ago with the canoe and this guy came out cursing at me in french, saying im on his land and how hes a cop from the quebec side. its a real shame about bottle :( my g-pa and uncle would always tell me that the biggest brookie that they each have caught was in Bottle Lake. The struggle is real....lol
I own some property in the immediate area and haven't heard much about that lad bothering people about fishing the lake, interesting I will have to look into that.

I can understand if people are tresspassing on his land but if there just fishing the lake he doesn't own it.Tresspassing can get my blood boilin pretty good also, I've dealt with a lot of trespassers on my property, mainly during deer season.

Too bad to hear about the bass, idiots!

Cheers
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

just came in on the marked road from lavant road and launched at the rocky, lol, boat launch. he was telling me he owns the property from lavant road back past behind the lake and i know that there is crown land in the area he was talking about so im just trying to get a better understanding now lol.cause if he owns that land on the way in then he owns the land around dixon lake aswell which makes no sense. how do you get to a stocked lake if there is no public access? also how can a person own the roadway in? either way i dont fish there any more, never had much luck there any how.
~SKOAL~