Dusting off the salmon baits

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Dusting off the salmon baits

Post by Markus »

My buddy and I decided to try the Lake Ontario salmon/trout this morning for a few hours. We had a late 8am start, so we knew we'd miss the first light flurry....but we werent expecting the whole morning to be a slow bite. We launched out of Jordan with about 20 other boats.

Some boats went west, others east...everyone was searching. We didnt see any hook ups and all the boats back at the dock had the same report/results...zero to 1 fish. We had 1 bite, a smaller coho. What did shock me was the little coho destroyed the rear treble hook on the yozuri. I had no idea these lure were built so cheaply.

Bass Pro Shop has a Food Saver model on clear out and we grabbed one last night. I was eager to try it out and it worked great. Packing/freezing my fish this way is definitely gonna pay off for our fish fries back in NS this summer.

Despite the slow bite this morning, the weather was a blessing....a flat lake and a warm sun. Great way to start any day.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Dusting off the salmon baits

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

You got a coho, wow, awesome eater !
You ever try a 6" hot pink dodger and peanut fly for them ? Meant to be the ticket in a lot places.
How old was the yozuri ? Have had UV/ out in the sun too long, damage a few fav. baits over the years but have gotten my
money's worth out of them. Just tricky to find replacements, especially if not made anymore.
Luv. my vacuum sealer too, never any freezer burn if done right.

Cheers.

Brent :)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

That yozuri was right out of the package....first time in the water.

If we were targeting coho's specifically, i'd run your go to set for sure...thats a killer set up. But we were looking for kings, just could get on them that trip.

I'm a big fan of the vacuum sealer as well. I dont do my deer or bear meat in them, but all fish from now on will be vacuumed packed for sure.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice to see ya sneak out Mark. Can't wait to see what we do May Long Weekend with the girls.. :lol:

RJ