Softwater countdown! What are you dying to try???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Softwater countdown! What are you dying to try???

Post by Kerrazy »

With softwater season slowly (painfully slow, I might add) approaching, what have you avid anglers acquired late fall or over the winter months that your dying to see in action?

For me, well, I have fissues,(fish-yous) and have more than just one item.

I acquired last year a rod and reel that was one of StarTzars who as many know passed away last fall leaving us all too soon. I am looking forward to Bass opener and playing in some weeds with this set up, after a few puffs on a stoagie in honour of Frank!

Now, one of the exciting pieces I want to launch at that coveted set up is a double Whopper Plopper! Some may have heard of the Whopper Plopper, used for bass, pike and muskey, yet this is a double whopper plopper, that will be similar to a buzz bait and I can't wait to see the water boil with it as I crank it on an 8:1 Steez!

I came across it by coincedence in a mystery tackle box order and did some homework on it, and it has inspired me to actually get some of the original whopper ploppers. Btw Ed at PaddleTales typically stocks them, but I believe they go quickly.

I also had some custom painted lures created this spring, in an SR-7 style/size but a unique pattern that I hope will see my crushing the lads at the spring Walleye camp that can't come soon enough!

And lastly, heading to snatch up the boat tonight, time to gut it, and completely rework the original design, to have a bigger forward deck, take it down to only one live well, and create some real nice clean watertight, lockable storage so it becomes the perfect fishing vessel ready at a moments notice come summer!

I hope all had a safe winter, and look forward to catching up again, on the water!
Cheers,
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Softwater countdown! What are you dying to try???

Post by TheMaverick »

Kerrazy wrote:
I acquired last year a rod and reel that was one of StarTzars who as many know passed away last fall leaving us all too soon. I am looking forward to Bass opener and playing in some weeds with this set up, after a few puffs on a stoagie in honour of Frank!
In honor of pops, I'll also light a stogie on my first trip out for Crappie.
He was proud to call you a friend, as I am as well.
Thanks Dale!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Tranx 400HG. This is going to be an awesome casting reel I bet.

It's more about spots and techniques that intrigued me year after year.

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I went a little overboard this off season and I'm still not done. I've got a few more trips to Paddletales before opener to pick up the rest.

I don't know how I managed but I ended up with one of Startzar's NRX 893 JWR's, a 706cb and a Calcutta Conquest 200. Although I used the cranking setup for a few casts, I'm really looking forward to using it on larger topwaters; a few of which you will see on this list.

First up, Megabass Pivot. I thought this would be an excellent replacement for a frog but the hooks are a little smaller than expected and the bait is slightly smaller. It'll still be useful around weeds, just not as thick of vegetation as I was hoping for.

Next, Megabass I-Jack. This is a larger topwater that will be thrown on that 706cb. I am super excited to try this. I've seen them in action and couldn't resist getting a few for myself.

Although not all of the S cranks I purchased this off season, these three are all colours I'm hoping will work wonders. I absolutely love that Gill pattern.

Again, not nearly close to all of the 110's I bought but these guys should work great! I've never tried a magnum 110 (the larger black one) but the bait is slightly bigger, the hooks are stouter and it suspends! What's not to like? I also picked up a few of the Northern secret limited NA colours.

And last but not least, the Megabass Wild Header. I'm looking forward to having this crushed by aggressive bass all season.

toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Can't wait to get the new boat wet. It's at Sign-a-Rama right now getting the wrap done. For those that don't know it's a Phoenix 921PHX.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

lape0019 wrote:I went a little overboard this off season and I'm still not done. I've got a few more trips to Paddletales before opener to pick up the rest.

I don't know how I managed but I ended up with one of Startzar's NRX 893 JWR's, a 706cb and a Calcutta Conquest 200. Although I used the cranking setup for a few casts, I'm really looking forward to using it on larger topwaters; a few of which you will see on this list.

First up, Megabass Pivot. I thought this would be an excellent replacement for a frog but the hooks are a little smaller than expected and the bait is slightly smaller. It'll still be useful around weeds, just not as thick of vegetation as I was hoping for.

Next, Megabass I-Jack. This is a larger topwater that will be thrown on that 706cb. I am super excited to try this. I've seen them in action and couldn't resist getting a few for myself.

Although not all of the S cranks I purchased this off season, these three are all colours I'm hoping will work wonders. I absolutely love that Gill pattern.

Again, not nearly close to all of the 110's I bought but these guys should work great! I've never tried a magnum 110 (the larger black one) but the bait is slightly bigger, the hooks are stouter and it suspends! What's not to like? I also picked up a few of the Northern secret limited NA colours.

And last but not least, the Megabass Wild Header. I'm looking forward to having this crushed by aggressive bass all season.

Oh Man! Another one drinking that MegaBass Kool-Aid!!!

I may or may not have been pressured into getting a couple at Ed's a couple weeks ago...
ShawnD said all the kool kids were using them.

But, if I recall, my ahem 110 knock off kept up with your 'real deal' last year.

I have another Dobyns to try out yet too. I just haven't made it back to Ed's to pick up the winch to tie on it yet!

It was my wife's B-day and anniversary, so hard to justify a 'gift' for myself in the month of April... luckily may is just a pitch of a cast away! Shh don't tell Momma!
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

toobinator wrote:Can't wait to get the new boat wet. It's at Sign-a-Rama right now getting the wrap done. For those that don't know it's a Phoenix 921PHX.

Ed
Congrats on the New Baby! Be more than happy to spill the first drink in it. Let me know!
Kerrazy

BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

DRT Klash & Tiny Klash,

Haven't been this excited about a bait in a long long time, the different configurations of this bait are pretty much endless.

Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Those look pretty sweet Brad!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

BradGuenette wrote:DRT Klash & Tiny Klash,

Haven't been this excited about a bait in a long long time, the different configurations of this bait are pretty much endless.

Can you rotate the tails on those Brad?
Again so see you are sticking with the 'small' swim bait variety this season.
Kerrazy

CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

New Gear:
Daiwa Tatula 103 SV
Gloomis Deep Flex CBR 896
Shimano Calcutta 100B
Shimano Bob Izumi Signature 2piece float rod.
Interesting story: I bought this rod around 2006/7 from LeBaron, in the thought of going floatfishing for steelies. I never made it out. It has been sitting in my basement since then. I was looking for a particular rod and noticed this sitting the rack. As I put sleeves on all my rods, I did not even notice it sitting there. I thought it was another rod. I honestly don't remember buying it. I intend to try it out for Crappie fishing as it is rated for 1/32 - 1/4 oz lures. (Yeah I have too much stuff! Look for my garage sale post coming soon).

Baits:
Whopper ploppers
Jackall Rhythm wave 2.5 Ned rigged!
Z-Mann TRD baits - ned rigged!
Savage gear 3D Shine glides
Savage gear 3D ducks
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Northam White Spinner bait
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Kerrazy wrote:
BradGuenette wrote:DRT Klash & Tiny Klash,

Can you rotate the tails on those Brad?
Again so see you are sticking with the 'small' swim bait variety this season.

Two different styles of tails and three different styles of lips can be used,each giving the bait a different look in the water.

Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
AcDcRocker1209
Participant
Participant

Post by AcDcRocker1209 »

CN wrote:New Gear:
Daiwa Tatula 103 SV
Gloomis Deep Flex CBR 896
Shimano Calcutta 100B
Shimano Bob Izumi Signature 2piece float rod.
Interesting story: I bought this rod around 2006/7 from LeBaron, in the thought of going floatfishing for steelies. I never made it out. It has been sitting in my basement since then. I was looking for a particular rod and noticed this sitting the rack. As I put sleeves on all my rods, I did not even notice it sitting there. I thought it was another rod. I honestly don't remember buying it. I intend to try it out for Crappie fishing as it is rated for 1/32 - 1/4 oz lures. (Yeah I have too much stuff! Look for my garage sale post coming soon).

Baits:
Whopper ploppers
Jackall Rhythm wave 2.5 Ned rigged!
Z-Mann TRD baits - ned rigged!
Savage gear 3D Shine glides
Savage gear 3D ducks
Yes, I'm ready to throw some Whopper Ploppers! And I'm not proud, but this Moto Chug has worked in the ponds of PA. I'm ready to take on Ontario with it.
Baring a Pike doesn't steal it. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ1pfY3_ZfI[/youtube]
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Was gonna post, but then it would look something like Bunk's reports.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!