Procedure with OOS fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
PikeFisherman17
Participant
Participant

Procedure with OOS fish

Post by PikeFisherman17 »

Hey Guys, with Pike & Walleye set to open soon, I was just wondering a couple of things. Obviously you can't always avoid OOS fish but if I'm fishing a white Big-O for walleye and the MNR show up, am I in trouble? Also, if I hook a bass by accident and its a big fish or has some cool features to it, whats the protocol on picture taking and releasing. Is that allowed? With a world of social media today, could you get fined for posting a picture with an Out Of Season fish?

Just a couple questions I have heard different answers to over the years and wanted to be sure before hitting the water this year.
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Procedure with OOS fish

Post by Supernova224 »

Check out the search feature, this topic comes up every year and has been discussed at length. Bottom line about pictures is it's going to depend on officer discretion if you got caught. I know someone who had conservation officers show up at his house with some pretty serious fines and seizures being threatened for posting pictures of OOS fish to a popular fishing website.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

When in doubt

The answer is no
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I believe the regs are quite clear on this subject, all OOS should be returned to the water immediately. Selfies and other people snapping pics with their phones are helping increase conviction rates. General rule is that one OOS caught might be a fluke but more than one OOS caught, it is time to move to a different spot/deeper water etc.
Climber2k
Participant
Participant

Post by Climber2k »

As below, quit looking for loopholes and do what the regs say. Release immediately, move, change tactics. It is a bass,or some other fish, unless it is growing an arm there are no shortage of fish pics. If it is growing an arm, then a CO would probably let the picture slide.
Only stupid people are breeding
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I caught what was close to my PB pike on Sunday. Broke my heart not to be able to get a nice picture with her. If I had been more on the ball and not freezing my butt off I would have taken pics while she was being unhooked.

So that might be a good way. If you can unhook them while they're still in the water, even better, but perhaps get photos of the release instead of the usual pose/selfie? That way you can still be good and get your picture :)

I look back to a couple of years ago, and hell; even my introductory post here on this page and shudder at my ignorance with regards to fishing regs. The way we all learn is from from experience and asking others.

So, yes there are tons of great threads on this subject already on the board, thank you for bring it up again as it brings it to everyone's attention, and some of those people may be new like we all once were and not as wise as we should be to handling OOS fish :)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

**Comment deleted** :lol:
Last edited by TheMaverick on Tue May 02, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Climber2k
Participant
Participant

Post by Climber2k »

Also if at any point in time your defense is going to be along the lines of...
"Well Johnny from fishhawk said it was ok". There will be a darwin award in your future.
Only stupid people are breeding
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

For my OOS catches,.. If possible unhook in the water and release. If it's a really nice fish have your partner snap some shots during said release in the water,.. if you are solo it's a memory.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

This winter while on lower Rideau .. I witnessed a family catch a pretty large bass. I had the binoculars out to see what the kerfuffle was about and saw the fish. I didn't like that they lifted it out for a picture but it was a kid that caught it .. big moment. Go for it but be quick.
But then they had it out of the water for quite awhile each taking turns getting pictures with it. That's when I started sounding off to get it back in the water before it dies.
There was quite a bit of surface water, they dropped the fish, missed the hole and chased it under the truck for awhile.
After they got it down the hole they packed up and took off.
I was not very impressed.

Unfortunately not everyone follows the regs.
I try unhooking OOS and obvious out of slot fish in the water. I usually have my camera/phone ready to go so that a shot can be taken while the fish is in the water.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Dont play football with it, and definitely dont eat it. lol
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Markus wrote:Dont play football with it, and definitely dont eat it. lol
Eating it would be really bad......
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

It doesn't matter how big the fish is, you are not allowed to take pictures of it. As soon as you notice it's OOS it's not hard to let slack in the line. Most of the time the fish will spit the hook right away. Or if hooked with mupltiple hooks there's no reason the fish needs to be out of the water for more than a minute. Keep pliers handy where you can easily grab them
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
CanBassK
Participant
Participant

Post by CanBassK »

My biggest question every year is how does the MNR determine if you are targeting an OOS species? I always have the fear that I'll be fishing for early spring black crappie with a micro jig, and a MNR office will say "oh, that's a jig, clearly you're fishing for bass" or when pike open and I throw a spinner. These are bait well known​for other species that are OOS but work great for in season fish.
Taking names, and catchin bass
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

Jason Daoust wrote:It doesn't matter how big the fish is, you are not allowed to take pictures of it. As soon as you notice it's OOS it's not hard to let slack in the line. Most of the time the fish will spit the hook right away. Or if hooked with mupltiple hooks there's no reason the fish needs to be out of the water for more than a minute. Keep pliers handy where you can easily grab them

No where does it say you cannot take pictures of an OOS incidental catch. It indicates release immediately. As stated by others if it's a good catch and the situation is appropriate photograph it in the water. Otherwise just release and skip picture.
As for letting slack in the line to let it go,.. I can't see that being a high percentage release method.