Ticks

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ticks

Post by smitty55 »

I guess this could easily be in the hunting forum as well but for all the shore fishermen I thought this could be helpful for those concerned with ticks, as they sure seem to be getting worse over the years.
Not sure if I posted this here before already, but get yourself a bottle of Ultra Shield EX by Absorbine. I get it a TSC but any place that sells horse stuff should carry it. It kills and repels many insects.
Set apart some sets of clothing for outdoor use. Spray them well and let dry. The ingredients will stay effective through several washings even. So long as you seal ankles and wrists you will have no ticks on you at all. You can also use it on your dogs and their bedding areas for more protection. Do not use on cats. They say it lasts 17 days on horses. They used to have info for dogs on the bottles too but not allowed in Canada anymore. The American ones still do. http://absorbine.com...ultrashield-ex/

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Re: Ticks

Post by Yunan »

Great advice, better do it before it's too late
Caaatch and Release!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Yep getting worse every year. Usually have to pull at least a couple off my dog anytime we go out, even close to home in Kanata.. Even had one sucking on my neck one day. Shiela McKee park on the Ottawa river has been the worst spot we've encountered so far. My wife took the dog for a walk there last year and he must have had 50 ticks crawling on him after that trip. The forest at centrum is chalk full of them too. A thorough check after an outing in the bush is more important now. Never had to worry about them growing up playing in the bush but now I see em everywhere.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Already pulled one out of my back about a week ago...:/ Off to doctors 2 rounds of blood work and strong antibiotics prescribed just in case! Thanks for the info I will be looking into it as I do not want a repeat!!
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

I took Smitty's advice last year and sprayed my dog and haven't had a problem since. Also sprayed my waders, fishing vest and hiking clothes. I've talked to surveyors who said that the most infested area they have ever seen is in the greenbelt off of terry fox about a km west of march. I've seen lots in the shirleys bay area.