fishing with kids in ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jscott5150
Participant
Participant

fishing with kids in ottawa

Post by jscott5150 »

I am in the west part of Ottawa. I want to take me two girls fishing just for an hour from the shore or a dock. I don't want sunfish but don't know where to go. I used to fish years ago for Bass but have no idea where are fun little spots for them to try and catch a couple fish

thanks, prefer to stay in the west part of town
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Re: fishing with kids in ottawa

Post by Yunan »

Go to the same old Britannia beach rock pier or whatever those bunch of rocks pulling are called . :roll:
Caaatch and Release!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Once the water drops a bit that Britannia spot is sure to get you some Catfish. Another option is anywhere along the Rideau River. All the lock areas have great parking and access.

RJ
Frameboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Frameboy »

You have to be smart about which ones you pick, but the local storm water ponds are great! My son has his personal best small mouth out of one of those ponds. One of the local kids got a BIG pike out of one of the ponds.
jscott5150
Participant
Participant

Post by jscott5150 »

thanks, I have tried the rocks at Britannia beach but never caught anything there with them. Never seen anyone catch anything there. Where would there be any storm ponds,

thanks for the help
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

Hey
my daughter and i have fished from shore with lots of fun and action all along the rideau. I mean depending on what you are after - but if its pan fish with the odd pike and bass then you should try:
1)Kars public boat launch and the end of lorne bridge road (opposite the kars launch) that is literally NON stop panfish
2) Across from hurst marina loads of perch and one walleye last week (zero skill on that it was just luck)
3) Nicholls island locks
4) watson mill in manotick above and below the falls.
I bought us a boat last summer but we still hit the bank all the time because six year olds, mine a least, is not know for patience :shock:

moo
theonlytallone
Participant
Participant

Post by theonlytallone »

I've had my sons out at Long Island locks on the Rideau, off River Rd many times, more access points than Watsons. Unfortunately, I think you have to pay for parking now, which has kind of taken the joy of just being able go out for a semi free day - but I guess you can't park anywhere these days without someone wanting their piece. My youngest nicknamed himself the Rock bass master at this spot. Carp, Smallies, Largies and Musky (I saw one - twas 4 feet long if it was a foot!) have been known to hang out there. go early to avoid the bucket fisherman :)
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Try fishing from under the bridges in Kemptville. I used to catch them there before I bought my boat.
iampaige86
Participant
Participant

Post by iampaige86 »

I have visited Ottawa for a several times now and have a great time fishing with my nephew and niece around the river banks.
Getting a durable yet a low price timber flooring is the good achievement in every home design.
jscott5150
Participant
Participant

Post by jscott5150 »

thanks I am in Barrhaven so those locations sound good. My kids like to catch anything I just hate those stupid Sunfish. We normally just fish worms on hooks but lots of good suggestions thanks
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Some west end locations for you.

If you don't mind the drive just west of Arnprior off of River Rd. is the Sand Point lighthouse which is on an old wharf built out into the river. I have been a few times and have always caught something. You will get catfish for sure but may get Walleye, bass, pike and have even heard someone got a sturgeon once. It is a good place as you can pretty much fish from that back of your car as you can drive right out.

There is a boat launch in Fitzroy harbor off of Harbour St. that you can fish off of. If it is busy there at the end of Harbour street on Crossland Dr. there is a short road that goes down to the water edge where you can throw a line. If you get there early enough you can get some Fudge from Penny's before they close.

The boat launch at Buckhams bay always has people fishing off of it.

At Pinehys point historical site you can always throw a live from the waters edge and there is a playground there for the kids if they need a break.

Good luck
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Hit the bank with my kids yesterday and they caught 71 fish in an hour an half. Many they had a blast.
jscott5150
Participant
Participant

Post by jscott5150 »

where did so go to catch so many ?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Pm sent..... trying to keep the white buckets away.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

I grew up in barhaven and we would bike down greenbank just past the bridge there is a bay on the jock river thats full of surprises.
andrew haydon has some docks near the boat launch that i recently saw children catching panfish from, and the rocks from the park have some decent walleye and pike.