Good early spring walleye shore spots

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jonnyhc
Participant
Participant

Good early spring walleye shore spots

Post by Jonnyhc »

Hey was wondering if anyone could point me out some good spots of shore around the Ottawa area to catch some walleye? Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance..

Jon
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Re: Good early spring walleye shore spots

Post by emeraldpirate »

Not too many contributors to this posting Lol but you can try Victoria Island, besides Rideau Falls if you go down to the rocks just left of the falls, Hogs Back near the canoe club and opposite. Various over passes on the Jock River, Dow's Lake near Carleton U.
try some Gulp minnows, leeches and various minnow baits.

Good luck
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

emeraldpirate wrote:Not too many contributors to this posting Lol
amongst many others...not sure what happened to Fish-Hawk, but it's far from being what it was.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Jonnyhc
Participant
Participant

Post by Jonnyhc »

Thanks I have a few spots that I try but always looking for new spots, a few years back black rapids was always a good spot but haven't caught much in a while and the kars boat launch was good too.

Thanks for the locations, will take the boy out and give em a try.

Cheers

Jon
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

victoria island is good, also blackbridge (old train bridge west of war museum) is pretty good. Can't access the pillars anymore but even from shore isnt bad usual get a couple small ones there. Ive never been in spring but i would think rockliffe park would be a decent spot.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

TheMaverick wrote:
amongst many others...not sure what happened to Fish-Hawk, but it's far from being what it was.
This always has been the reaction to a new poster asking straight out for spots. This isn't new.

Some great suggestions made above.

RJ
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Victoria island is a great early season spot, walleye and pike open tomorrow on the ottawa river. I'll be around that area, good luck guys!
Cy
Jonnyhc
Participant
Participant

Post by Jonnyhc »

RJ wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
This always has been the reaction to a new poster asking straight out for spots. This isn't new.

Some great suggestions made above.

RJ
Isint what this forum is for? It's not like I'm asking or expecting you to post your honey hole or anything, just asking for a bit of friendly advice Or be pointed in the rite direction. Make no difference if I'm new to the forum or not. We are all trying to do the same thing and catch more fish. Why not get rite to the point and use this forum for what it's partly intended for.

I personally haven't had too much luck on the rivers around here. So why not ask for a bit of help and save me the headache. Just trying to catch a few more fish with a couple of kiddos. tried the long island locks on Monday evening and managed to catch a couple eyes nothing too big but managed to catch a 3 pounder. Not a bad start to the year. Hoping to get out Friday in a canoe somewhere around Ottawa. Any suggestions? Was thinking of trying muskrat or possibly Dalhousie lake.

Haven't caught any pike yet, anyone have any luck yet?

Cheers
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

As a forum newbie, I look forward to help and advice. As stated earlier, yes there is people looking for spots, but we are also looking for that nudge to help, and that is it. I have some spots I know from many years ago, and yes I do protect them. And you know how I found these holes. Lots of fishing, and locals who point you in a direction, and give you bait advice. Never ever asked them for their honey hole. and at times we would passed them on the river or lake, and always talked.

When I first joined this group, it was because of a love of fishing, and the pursuit of more knowledge. and yes there is always some who will help out. But you also have to remember that you were once the newbie.