How is the Muskrat Lake Ramp in Cobden and Other Things

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Carmichael
Participant
Participant

How is the Muskrat Lake Ramp in Cobden and Other Things

Post by Carmichael »

Hoping to go to Muskrat Lake on Tuesday May 23rd. Does anyone knows if the ramp is good to launch at after the high water? Please let me know. Save the trip up if not good.

I had posted on the ice at Muskrat earlier this year in the hopes of early season Lakers. Two trips were planned and two trips cancelled due to the hellacious conditions.

Hoping to hit the Ottawa on Monday but the ramp at the Bonnechere River is still under water. I can putter to my spots from there. The other launches are farther away and I am not too thrilled to run the river with all the wood in it (plus we are asked not to create wakes)

I did get out once for very early season Crappie at Bennett's Lake. Never fished the lake before. Thank goodness for the route tracking and the lake map on the Humminbird as the lake is a maze of islands and bays. Fishing...well it was a beauty day but the Crappie did not cooperate.
Found great looking areas but I think we were early. Tried shallow and weed edges but no go. Heard later that someone found them after a few days of searching.

Unfortunately that was it for fishing so far as the other weekends were busy with get-to-gathers and sand bagging duties. Both brothers were surrounded by water but escaped with no flooded basements due to the support of the community.

Thank you,

Tim
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Re: How is the Muskrat Lake Ramp in Cobden and Other Things

Post by laker taker »

Put my 18 ft in on Tuesday. The water is still very high but you can stand on the right side where the sign is to get in the boat.
Just have to be carful for the cement walls, but is very doable. There was a couple other boats there and 1 laker caught.
Looked like about 7/8 lbs.
Laker
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Thanks for the information about the launch.
A friend and I are looking to head out this weekend.
Is there a launch fee? Do you pay at the launch?
Thanks
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

Launch is free and lots of parking. The parking lot is partly taped off do to soft ground which is understandable and a couple of ice shacks stuck in the way but still room to park. Could get a little tight there this weekend though with the pike and walleye opener.
I don't know why those guys cant move the shacks though, they have been there for a couple months now.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Thanks Laker!
Carmichael
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmichael »

Thanks Laker. The information is appreciated. I see fish in my future...
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Re: the Bonny. Launched there all weekend, they cleaned it up a bit on friday. Still a little muddy but no problem getting in and out.

I too was concerned about about debris, was really a none issue, saw very little.
Carmichael
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmichael »

Thanks Relic,

I thought the ramp was closed for the collection of river trash. Hopefully get out this coming weekend. Were they biting?

Hit the Madawaska Head pond today with my brother and niece. 15 eyes but the we only kept 6 for the pan. But did we get into the catfish, 6 to 10 pounds (guess) stacked in one location. It was supposed to be a walleye day but we could not leave the these hard fighting fish.

Spoke to a fellow at the launch and he caught a 10 pound eye that morning on a crank bait in 10 feet of water. Only fish all morning but must have been a beauty. Put back to get even bigger.

CO was out. All was legal and we had a great chat.

Tim
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Not closed just park up on the grass as to not block access to the bins. Its muddy though.

They were biting, we smoked em pretty good Saturday evening. In about 2 hours we landed 20-25, including a couple well over slot.
Last edited by Relic on Wed May 24, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

Did you guys make it to Muskrat and how did you do if so.