A day out on Rideau (river conditions)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

A day out on Rideau (river conditions)

Post by Moobe »

Hey all
Hit the Rideau today from Manotick to lock 17. Here's the conditions I found for those interested. Water is still high and muddy inspots. And it is still very swift. I noted quite a number of floating hazards from branches and sticks etc all the way up to a whole cedar tree (15ft+) and what appeared to be a railroad tie. So be cautious and maybe don't go balls out just yet.

The fishing was... well slow at best only a couple pike were caught both very small.

Well let's hope it's back to normal sooner than later.

I'll try st Lawrence if it's not too windy hopefully it's better
Drail
Participant
Participant

Re: A day out on Rideau (river conditions)

Post by Drail »

To add,

Dow's lake is swamped with people right now because of the tulip festival. The dam at Hog's Back is wide open (same with Watson's Mill), it's very hard and dangerous to move down the shore to the slower parts because the water is so fast and high. The upper reservoir is very drained, there is about 60 feet of river bed in some spots you can walk on and the boats at the canoe club are sitting on it. The rapids near Carleton U are extremely fast, I spent a while under bronson bridge and didn't catch anything. A lot of the natural eddies are run over on the river.

More than ever, if you are shore fishing along the rideau think about wearing a PFD, there's a lot of mud, had a bad slip but luckily no where near the water.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't fished the Rideau River yet because it has been so swift. Safety first right.
PikeFisherman17
Participant
Participant

Post by PikeFisherman17 »

Was out just prior to pike/walleye opener and conditions were similar. We were mostly touring to see conditions and scout some spots and came across a couple in distress across from the Manotick launch. At first it was a wave, then we realised they were flagging us down. I guess they bought a second hand boat, took it for a first time try and it stalled out 2 minutes up the river. They had drifted to docks directly across from the launch and were just hanging on so we gave them a tow back to safety. Lucky they drifted that way because water was very fast and they were less then 100 feet from rapids under the bridge. Be safe everyone.