Musky Baits - What's you choice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Musky Baits - What's you choice

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

OK Guys and Gals ... it's September and we are expecting the big fish to start turning on any day now. Of course for HW they already have :D

So, what's your "go to" bait in the fall? This may be a topic of interest for those who are anticipating the Musky Hunt in October.

Fishing the Rideau, I like to twitch large rapalas and pull suicks around the bridges.

And bait doesn't count !

Post by Guest »

Casting I'd have to go with the bulldawg.

Trolling, baits in the 12-18" range. Go big or go home!

HW
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

LOL well lemme tell ya..

As a now experienced Muskie fisherman :lol: I found that my best experience has been trolling with a 2-inch diving rappalla

LMAO... I have no idea why it hit that lure...
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Muskie Lure of Choice

Post by Seaweed »

My go to lure for trolling for muskies is still the 10" Jointed Believer... color... hmmm dark.

My casting lure... Mepps Muskie Killer bucktail spinner.

What catches fish?

Whatever they see when they are hungry or pee pee off.

Just make sure you are ready for a hit every moment you are out there and you will be ok. :twisted:

Post by Guest »

Be careful with the Jointed Believers in the fall (or anytime for that matter). Have had 3 of them where the back end has been ripped off by both fish, and getting snagged. I'm not the only one that this has happened to. They are not the most durable lures. They are nice because they are one of the cheaper lures on the market. However, there is a reason they are cheap. Keep that in mind. They have amazing action, and I like to use them myself every once in a while. However, on "big fish" days, they stay in my box. :)

In the fall you want solid crafted baits. You need solid lips on the baits, and I try to stick to one piece bait designs. Believe me, you'd hate to lose a 30pd+ fish because of a bad lure. Has happened to me! :)

HW
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Interesting note about the believers, I'm re-stocking now and had thought to buy another, maybe I won't now.

Must-haves - I guess the big spinner baits for trolling, some suick-types for playing on the surface, and after a link that appeared here last week, I have bought some big plastics. I love the buchertail top raider, never caught a fish on it but it casts for miles and has great surface action. As for colours, everything from white to black just run it past his nose :wink:
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

fudally Reef Hawgs, or Blue Fox Bucktails always worked for me!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

8 Inch beleivers....non-jointed...

Fudally Reefhawgs...and HawgSpins...

10 inch Jakes....

My fave colours.....perch...brown....black....red/white

RJ