Ottawa area shore fishing 2017!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa area shore fishing 2017!

Post by Peron »

I have not posted too much this spring... not entirely sure why! Catfishing has been spectacular on the Ottawa River. Caught my first fish (which I did post) through gaps in the Ice flows. Lots and lots of really clean, decent sized fish:
IMG_1235a.jpg
IMG_1235a.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1502 times
A few days ago I caught a double with two solid fish that made me think I had a monster:
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1502 times
However, due to the incredibly high Ottawa River levels, the shore fishing has been a bit weird. I caught a few Pike in a reliable spot last weekend (the opener) but mainly the hits and fish were OOS smallmouth on big spinnerbaits. Every last fish slammed my lures about two feet from shore. Aside from the cardiac shock, that is not my favourite kind of fight. I think that my lure was running well, well above the fish further out. Moved to the Rideau on Sunday (standard downtown Ottawa Pike/Musky spots for those in the know!) and when I could find slack water (most areas are still pretty fast), the same thing! I had snagged my spinnerbait in weeds, pulled it free and this guy nailed it almost where you see him in the picture:
IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1502 times
I am thinking this year will test my fishing skills.

Rod
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Ottawa area shore fishing 2017!

Post by ShawnD »

Some nice catches Rod
Good luck out there :handgestures-thumbupright:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ottawa area shore fishing 2017!

Post by RJ »

Always enjoy your stuff! Have a great summer on the bank!

RJ