Bug Attack!!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Bug Attack!!!!

Post by Yunan »

The bugs have been swarming at me for the past couple days. Like I mean the action was crazy, all kinds of flies, mosqitoes you name it. It was getting to this point where my fishing vibe was getting killed lol. I don't know why the situation is really bad at this specific time this year, I don't seem to remember it being this bad last year. Is there like a specific type of bug spray that works really well? Or I've been hearing theories that for the mosquitoes situation it depends one what you eat, sometimes when you eat certain stuff they won't bite you as much.
Caaatch and Release!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Bug Attack!!!!

Post by Lvace »

I tried them all and found that mosquito shield wilderness formula works the best !! I never get bothered when I have it on! http://kuusinc.com/product/ms0007-mosqu ... mula-220g/
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

eat food with garlic

don't eat bananas

because of all the water this spring bugs will be bad all season.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

If they're really bad I'd opt for a good bug suit. They work well and are easy to carry. You can get hoods that you can wear your hat under.

The advantages are that they're 100% effective, no chemicals on your skin, can't get a bug suit in your eyes and they don't melt plastic or damage clothing.
Last edited by Roblin on Wed May 31, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

I swear by using my https://www.thermacell.com/ I have no problems with bugs. I've used for past 5 years and works great.

Mark
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

CN wrote:because of all the water this spring bugs will be bad all season.
Yep, definitely a "bumper crop" of mosquitos with all the standing water around this spring.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

The mosquito situation is worst this time around because of all the flooding we got.
Deet, lots of deet lol
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Deep woods off.... I always have can handy.... spray it on my cap my sleeves, the back of my neck.... repeat when it fades.
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Post by Yunan »

CN wrote:eat food with garlic

don't eat bananas

because of all the water this spring bugs will be bad all season.
Would those vampire garlic necklace do the job?? :D
So many bug sprays to choose from but they all seem to not completely solve the problem for me. People say I'm blood type O and that's the type that attracts mosquitoes
Caaatch and Release!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Eating salami loaded with garlic, and smoking cheap cigars was the approach my dad used when I was a kid. He though the smoke would keep them off his head - didn't work on windy days, but then the bugs weren't so bad either :)
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Strangely enough I find that when I'm wearing a lot of sunscreen the bite less. Not sure you'd want to spray your clothes with it, but for bare skin, it's worth a shot, and will double duty you from getting skin cancer
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

Walker wrote:I swear by using my https://www.thermacell.com/ I have no problems with bugs. I've used for past 5 years and works great.

Mark
I had great success with them as well.
Tom
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Post by tmacinc »

Clothing colour makes a big difference too. Always where light colours.

If they aren't crazy I always opt to cover up. Light coloured long sleeves, pants, a hat and gloves. If they still bother me I use Bens 30 on my hands and exposed skin. If they still bother me I'll put on a bug jacket.

I've done Algonquin in late may during a bumper crop of blackflies (enough that you have to kill hundred each time you enter your tent) and since I've settled on this.

I've heard of people who eat bananas getting attacked more, but can't say that I've ever noticed a difference.