Jigging for eyes

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jonnyhc
Participant
Participant

Jigging for eyes

Post by Jonnyhc »

Was wondering of anyone had any tips for jigging for walleye? Fishing in a canoe now and I've only ever had luck catching walleye trolling using bottom bouncers?Any tips or pointers would be great. Thanks in advance, happy fishing guys.

Cheers

Jon
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Jigging for eyes

Post by Wallyboss »

A canoe is a great platform to do drift fishing. Just let the jig fall to the bottom and just let the canoe drift with the current or wind. Keep in contact with bottom by dropping or lifting the jig. Try to keep your line as vertical as possible.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Jonnyhc wrote: I've only ever had luck catching walleye trolling using bottom bouncers?
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I fish the Ottawa River 100+ days a year, mostly for walleye. 80% of the walleye we catch in a given season are caught bottom bouncing. I only start to think about jigging when the water temps starts dipping below 50 in the fall. When I do jig, it's with VMC hammer head jigs, or Etic 3/8oz in tints of green or pink with a live minnow and stinger hook.
Happy Fishing.
Last edited by Yannick Loranger on Tue May 30, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

The way I bottom bounce or even troll from a canoe.
1) I use an 8 foot rod. I like the rod out on the left side and that is the side I can paddle on for miles.
2) I use a rod holder. You could attach it directly to the canoe but it may be in the way when you or others use the canoe for other purposes.
I set up a Scotty rod holder on a 2" x 6" piece of wood that goes all the way across the canoe and then attach it to both sides of the canoe by ropes.
With an 8 foot rod, you will see when the fish hits and as long as you keep moving the fish will not get off, so you have time to stow the paddle and start reeling in.
Good luck,
David
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Super wrote:The way I bottom bounce or even troll from a canoe.
1) I use an 8 foot rod. I like the rod out on the left side and that is the side I can paddle on for miles.
2) I use a rod holder. You could attach it directly to the canoe but it may be in the way when you or others use the canoe for other purposes.
I set up a Scotty rod holder on a 2" x 6" piece of wood that goes all the way across the canoe and then attach it to both sides of the canoe by ropes.
With an 8 foot rod, you will see when the fish hits and as long as you keep moving the fish will not get off, so you have time to stow the paddle and start reeling in.
Good luck,
David

Good advice, we do something similar with our kayaks.

E
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

I also fish from a canoe, and when it's a little windy and I'm drifting too fast, or having trouble controlling the canoe, I throw a drift sock out the back. It slows me down, and holds the canoe perpendicular to the waves, so they roll along the length of the canoe rather than capsizing it.

Now if I only had a little more luck catching ;)
Jonnyhc
Participant
Participant

Post by Jonnyhc »

Thanks guys for the pointers will give it a shot. Wish my canoe was a flat back so I could use a old ted williams 5 hp I got which would be perfect but I guess I can use the exercise. Usually fish live bait so a canoe not so bad Just a bit harder to catch without a nice little drift going. Hoping to get out this weekend for a bit of night shore fishing. Hope the springs been good to everyone