boat launch - Lac McArthur (Quebec)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pspcfl
Participant
Participant

boat launch - Lac McArthur (Quebec)

Post by pspcfl »

Hi,

Can anyone share the location of the public boat launch for Lac McArthur (Quebec)? In the past 3 years I often went to lac la peche with my daughter but this week I am thinking to bring her to a new lake. It seems Lac McArthur a good choice to explore.

I see the map and it seems the boat launch is located at Chemin McArthur. Can anyone advise? Thanks.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Re: boat launch - Lac McArthur (Quebec)

Post by Dnbmike »

Lac Mac have 2 private launches and there is no public launch ...you need to be part of the cottage association .and they also want your boat washed if it's been in another body of water
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Everything is public if you have a small boat and know the law. I live a stone's throw away from McArthur. There is a spot I launch from all the time with my tin boat. The "locals" (by way of Ontario) give me the stink eye all the time. I stay respectful until they get snarky, then I tell them to call the cops. Just because a bunch of people say its private doesn't mean it IS private.

I always let them know that their cottages are alone a lot longer than my vehicle, so it's in their best interest to keep anyone from trying to make my tires smile.
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Post by Harpee61 »

Under Quebec law and with a few exception (such as the body of water being in whole on someone's property or having it been ceded by the state prior to 1908) no one owns a navigable body of water. Everyone has a right of access THROUGH PUBLIC LAND or with permission, and the right to navigate; however that right does not extend to setting foot on the shore if the land is private.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

All land within 10 feet of the center of a public road is public land. All shoreline is public land starting at the high water line.

So... yeah. If there is a spot where at any time historically, the lake went over or within a few feet of the road... I am launching there.

Entitlement is not extended exclusively to land "Lords".

Entitlement is to the people of our country equally.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

cprince wrote:All land within 10 feet of the center of a public road is public land.
Craig, are you sure it's only 10 ft? In Ontario all road and even unused concession allowances through the bush are 60 ft wide, so that is 30 ft from the center of the roadway is public land. A 20ft allowance seems real small.

Cheers

Edit: It's actually 66ft in Ontario.
Last edited by smitty55 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

I think the question was is there a public launch on McArthur and there isn't. Both launches that I know of are at the end of private roads ....it's pretty rough country and I personally don't know where the lake is near a public road . I know some of the people on the lake don't like the rules but most abide by them ..threatening somebody's cottage sounds like away of escalating things and generally not a good way to make freinds ...I totally agree that water and frontage belongs to everyone but I personally don't own a float plane or helicopter ...
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

No threats from me. No sir. The thing about the cottage is my reply when they talk about the safety of my vehicle being parked on the side of the road.

You are right though, "Proper" boat launches that are public are not available at that lake.

Smitty, the 10 foot thing is a very conservative estimate for small one lane roads I have read about for Quebec. I have also read the 60ft one, but I think it might be arguable. 10 feet rule of thumb keeps you honest!
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

Pretty sure there used to be a bunch of great fishing reports out of this lake 8 or 9 years ago... Am I right? :)
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

I don't know about access to this particular lake but I'm sure the last thing these cottagers want on the lake are boats. I mean, unless it's their boats, just not your boat.
"Can't you just go somewhere else, lots of lakes around" is always a good one.

This was a trip I took a few years back. As soon as I retire I will be looking in to getting one of these with floats and landing on and fishing every "private lake" around the region.
I sincerely look forward to making friends and or enemies doing it.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Thats wen its great to have a kayak or canoe and drop in the creeks going in.... 8)

A veh and a yak or canoe on top, not many place cant go.