Opening day laker action

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Opening day laker action

Post by steve_rauch »

Surprised that no one else has posted. There were boats a plenty out on opening morning.
Headed out first thing Saturday am. I was on a mission to convince my mom and dad that old school trolling with cowbells was no fun. Jigging was on tap and both of whom have never tried it.
First drop of the morning and mom hooked up. As she was hauling that one in i noticed another mark. I turn to my dad to tell him to get the line down. On the way down I noticed the line seemed to be just pooling at the surface after about 2 minutes or so... set the hook old man I yelled to him.. well wouldn't you know it..doubbled up.
It was a great day out and I would say we got around 8 or 10 in the boat and easily lost and released more then that. To finish the day I lost a tank after a good 10 minute battle..
It was another epic opening day.. can't wait for this Saturday
20170531_204719.jpg
20170531_204719.jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 3128 times
barney
Participant
Participant

Re: Opening day laker action

Post by barney »

You and your folks had a really good day. Like your folks, I was old school! Heavy rod, lead core and gang trolls. Now jigging or trolling with lighter equipment is the way to go. You guys had a real good day. Congratulations.
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

Nice!!
What lake were you on?
"You must lose a fly to catch a trout"
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on a great opener and very nice Lakers
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great fishin Steve! See ya out there.

RJ
spyman48
Participant
Participant

Post by spyman48 »

I'm loving jigging for them. Sebile Vibrato is an awesome soft or hard water lure!
xbowhunter
Participant
Participant

Post by xbowhunter »

Similar action on Big Rideau. Three of us boated a number of fish. All caught downrigging. Mostly caught at 120-140 FOW. Kept a few eaters for a fish fry Saturday evening. Most fish on the smaller side. Biggest in 2 days fishing was about 5 lbs.
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Post by BrookieJunkie »

Nice to see you can teach old dogs new tricks. :D I'll have to get out there soon to jig up some tasty lakers.