Things that make you go HMMMM?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Things that make you go HMMMM?

Post by CNs »

Went to go for lakers this morning. Big Rideau was on the ticket. Rideau Valley conservation area launch near rideau ferry.

When we get there we looked for the pay machine. Not there. INstead ther is a sign

Downlaod an app and pay by phone (paybyphone.com). Okay I can do that except I could not set up an account due to connectivity issues - Which are abundant in Rideau Ferry (rogers service not so good there.

Okay there is a phone number (1 866 ) it comes up as a US number. SO the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority hooked up with an American company to collect out fees. To do so I wold have to give out too much information to a US company. Given the paranoia
shown to foreigners by the US President, I will not give any details about me to them.

This is unacceptable. A Canadian conservation entity hooking up with a US company doe snot make sense, not even politically.
We did not launch there. We will be using Safari Marina or launch at Beveridge locks.

I have already email RVCA to voice my displeasure at this situation and will refuse to launch at any RCVA launches.

If this bothers you, I suggest every one write in to voice their displeasure about using an American company to collect fees.

info@rvca.ca
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Things that make you go HMMMM?

Post by Walker »

What about people who don't have Smart-Phones? All I own is a flip phone. :?
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Norm,

I understand what you mean and where you are coming from. Only advice I can give you is run into their offices and maybe buy a 1 year pass from a person?

They did away with the machines at Taylor park last year. I haven't actually used the launch since. I just don't find it functional at all.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Walker wrote:What about people who don't have Smart-Phones? All I own is a flip phone. :?
there is a 1800 number, which is a US number.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

lape0019 wrote:Norm,

I understand what you mean and where you are coming from. Only advice I can give you is run into their offices and maybe buy a 1 year pass from a person?

They did away with the machines at Taylor park last year. I haven't actually used the launch since. I just don't find it functional at all.

That is what I did when I owned a boat, regardless if I even launched at a RVCA launch. It was to support the organization. But now using a US company - no way can I support this organization. As I do not have a boat, I pay the launch fee when I go out on someone's boat. I will not at any RVCA launch, I will find other launches (E.G. Big Rideau: Safari MArina, Beveridge locks, Murphys Point Prov Park etc.)
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Launch in Portland just before the Marina on Hwy 15.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I went to their offices to renew my pass and the lady was none too happy to do it. Asked why I didn't do it over the phone, I said I don't do that. I also said I went to their website and it left a lot to be desired, so basically I'm here, and renew my pass please.

Ed
Last edited by toobinator on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

toobinator wrote:I went to their offices to renew my pass and the lady was none too happy to do it. Asked why I didn't do it over the phone, I said I don't doo that. I also said I went to their website and it left a lot to be desired, so basically I'm here, and renew my pass please.

Ed

I did the same thing. She was not impressed with me, especially when another girl followed up to get my second license plate (which I think is a GREAT idea). She mentioned going online to which I responded I work in security/policing environment and will not provide this type of information over a network to an organization that I am not familiar.
She also mentioned that the City of Ottawa has begun using the same system for some of their parking lots; which precipitated their decision to use it.
I told her to get used to me coming in to renew.

Murphy's Point is closer to where I fish Lakers, but do not like the idea of leaving my boat with all my gear unattended while I walk for 10+ minutes to overflow parking lot .. if you don't get there at the "crack of stupid" on weekends. Last year I disconnected my trailer from my truck to avoid it.
Portland is okay, but you have to park in the green space up the road a bit and if you launch solo like I do almost every time I am out you get wet. Still not sure if you need to pay to park there as it falls under the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

toobinator wrote:I went to their offices to renew my pass and the lady was none too happy to do it. Asked why I didn't do it over the phone, I said I don't doo that. I also said I went to their website and it left a lot to be desired, so basically I'm here, and renew my pass please.

Ed
She should cool her jets and lose that attitude. With the way things are going, she will soon be replaced entirely by a machine/phone/internet and will be out her job. :lol:
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

If you think this is bad.....

I was renewing my mortgage last year and they had a couple of sheets to sign that sorta read "You agree to have your your finacial data shared with US institutions" as most of the physical processing has been contracted out.

I asked if I had the option to not sign the sheet and they responded "This is boilerplate, you do not sign and we can not provide you a mortgage"

I am pretty sure this applies to every mortgage provider in Canada nowa days.
Lorne Chapman
Participant
Participant

Post by Lorne Chapman »

I went to the RVCA office and had no issues. The young lady was pleasant and professional.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

She was friendly because you scared her.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Free to park at the Portland Launch and there's a dock to tie your boat to once launched so that you can get out of your boat and park your vehicle.