Back at the laker grind

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Back at the laker grind

Post by steve_rauch »

I had made it a mission since moving back closer to Smith's falls that I would take my wife and kids out and try to get them hooked on laker fishing. Since opening day I have been out a lot but only a few hours at a time. I have been moving up and down that lake looking and learning the lay of the land. So eventually I was able to get everyone out but my oldest daughter. That will hopefully happen this weekend. First up was my son. We were up and on the lake fishing at 6am. By 615 we had the first 2 in the boat. By the end of that trip we put 8 in the boat and missed 2 or 3.. at 9 am he said his arm hurt to much to continue on. His new best laker jigging came in under 9 pounds.
Next up was my youngest daughter. On Tuesday night after work she wanted to head out. I didn't have great expectations because it seemed the afternoons were always slow for me. Headed up to the spot where I had marked a bunch on Saturday. About 15 minutes in we finally had a chaser. Finally after working that fish up and down for 5 minutes it finally bit in 80 feet. She brought it in all by her self and that laker put up a great fight. She couldn't believe it when it finally hit the net. She had never caught anything that big. What a rush. If anyone was on the lake I'm sure they would have heard me roar. We landed just the one and lost 2 before we called it a night.
Last night after a stressful day I decided to take the wife out. Again wasn't thinking it would be great but hey none the less it would just be nice to get out. After 20 minutes of nothing the wife was getting a bit restless. I finally marked a fish down deep and got her to drop. At about 130 feet the fish seemed to swim off. So she let the line hit bottom at 150 and the started to crank. About 4 or 5 turns later and whamm... what a rush. She fought it all the way and I went to the back of the boat to grab the net that was tangled up in the seat. I hear he yell omg... I finally got the net up to the front and I won't say what I said when I saw it but wow... anyways we caught 3 and missed 2 in about 2 hours. It's been a epic 2 weeks on the water laker fishing and this has been the best laker action I have ever had in the last 6 years of me doing this.
20170610_080609.jpg
20170610_080609.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3915 times
20170613_204809.jpg
20170613_204809.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3915 times
20170614_195807.jpg
20170614_195807.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3915 times
barney
Participant
Participant

Re: Back at the laker grind

Post by barney »

Nice pics of some really nice fish. From what you have posted recently, your in for a good year.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Sweet! Lake trout are one of those species I haven't added to my species list yet. Actually, most of the trout.

Great work!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Way to bring the family out to show them how it's done! You sure are rocking them these past few weeks Steve. Keep those reports coming!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Family time done right Steve-O!

RJ
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good fishing Steve!!
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

That's awesome family time and some great fish to top it off!
Tom