Crushing Gar with RJ

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Crushing Gar with RJ

Post by River Monster »

So decided to try something a little different this year with clients. Instead of the usual golf outing I decided to book RJ for a day and target some gar. My two clients (Steve and Chris) were more than excited to go.

I showed up the ramp 5 minutes late to Steve returning to his car with a hand full of bananas. RJ told him they are bad luck :roll: ….maybe they are, maybe they aren’t, but this was not the day to test our luck. RJ was already launched and ready to roll. The jitters set in as we started to take off, we were all pumped. I felt like a little kid again. We pulled into the first stop. RJ dropped the trolling motor and cruised in and gave us a quick 5 minute lesson on how to catch them. The whole time in my head I’m thinking “ I know how to fish….I don’t need lessons! :lol: ” But I listened anyway. Chris was first up. It didn’t take long for RJ to spot one. I swear he has Hawk eyes…polarized hawk eyes!! Chris clearly listened to the instructions and hooked up really quickly. 47-3/4”. :shock: Great way to start the morning. Steve was up next…Also clearly listened and hook up almost immediately. After looking at times on my pics those two fish came 8 minutes apart. Now it was my turn…. I did not listen. :| RJ kept telling me to cast 20 feet past the gar. And I kept tossing right near it. I blame my jig flipping habits always trying to hit the target. After a Few missed fish and 30 minutes later I finally hooked into a 48-3/4”. We quickly learned this is not like fishing for any other fish…its ore like hunting. We continued to smash them through the day. At one point Chris had a 3 fish average over 48”. RJ was a machine. He helped Steve crack the 50 mark. He stalked the beast and Steve made cast after cast until she hit. And what a fight. RJ’s Perfect trolling motor work, spotting them and perfect Net jobs made a very memorable day for myself and clients. He also snapped some great pics. In the end 13 made it in the boat, lots of missed strikes and a few came un pinned. Also landed 4 pike and lost a nice crappie boat side. We got greedy and didn’t even both casting to smaller ones. The clouds held out for the day making it an exception day to smash them. In the last hour we cruised around trying to get number 14, but as the sun dropped it became harder and harder…..Maybe a banana on board would have gave us the extra bit of luck. :lol:

If you guys ever get a chance to do this it’s worth every penny. I cannot say thanks enough for this day on the water. A+ Service all day.

- Rick Ozga
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Crushing Gar with RJ

Post by TheMaverick »

Nicely done! Great pics!
Question is, did you land that submittal? :D
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Awesome day on the water with some nice beasts.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Thanks Rick! Glad you guys enjoyed your day. See ya next year!

RJ
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice!! Some big fish.

Beats golfing for sure.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
tidefighter
Participant