Rideau River / Canal fishing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Sno
Participant
Participant

Rideau River / Canal fishing?

Post by Sno »

I was wondering if anyone here has been fishing along the river / canal from Moonies Bay to the Ottawa river and has had any luck, I haven't had any luck at all and I am getting frustrated going out and not getting anything. If you fish this area and have luck, where you going and what are you using? Help is much appreciated.
azabache
Participant
Participant

Re: Rideau River / Canal fishing?

Post by azabache »

Was out this morning along Rideau river . Water levels have dropped but current under was fast. Use 3/8 jigs tipped with some dew worms produced rock bass, perch & a smallie :D .
Keep in mind that the upcoming rain/ storm will change fish feeding habits too. :o
Good luck,
Azabache & junior.
Masterbaiter101
Participant
Participant

Post by Masterbaiter101 »

people slam muskie from shore in dows lake
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

In the past I have had good luck catching reasonable bass.
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Post by Yunan »

Find the deep areas along the bank of money's bay and throw a jig or jerkbait. Should produce a decent a decent amount of smallies and some rare pike
Caaatch and Release!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Hogs Back is great. Climb down the falls rock wall and fish the bottom bowl.

Brewer Park/Bronson Bridge area, pike, smallies, largies, and muskie I've heard from lots of people, (I've never caught one tho)

Rideau starting at Billings Bridge then working your way down to the Smyth Bridge. There's even a public dock off Windsor park that has a nice, deep hole in front and is a wider section of the river, so lots of casting area.

This is from under Billings Bridge. Still one of my best smallies to date!
Rideau Smallie.jpg
Rideau Smallie.jpg (126.8 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
Another good place is the old Brighton Beach (around the corner from Windsor Park).. It's a big of a cement 'wall' left from what used to be the beach. You can stand on it and cast out.

I had great success with brightly coloured senkos rigged Texas, with a little bit of a bullet weight to be able to rip it through the weeds. Also chatterbaits work well. Maybe because the water is fast, dirty and there's a lot of ambient noise the fish can find this kind of bait more easily? Not sure if that's correct, but it's my 'deep thought theory' I had one day :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great info shared here!

RJ
Sno
Participant
Participant

Post by Sno »

Caught one tomight :3
Attachments
finally had some luck :3
finally had some luck :3
image.jpg (107.86 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
harpdharp
Participant
Participant

Post by harpdharp »

Team of three shut out tonight shore casting under Bronson street bridge. Threw everything g in the tackle box but nothing more than small fish hit and runs. Figure the recent storms might have affected their appetites. Next time!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I also hit the rideau/canal this weekend when I was not not gar fishing. Very, very murky water. My best results were with a texas rigged white yamamoto or a bright spinnerbait. Really light bite and mostly mid to small sized largemouths. One heart stopping moment when a very large pike or a medium musky sheared my yamamoto worm off just behind the hook right after it hit the surface but no other toothy fish takes. Most of the bass were in very shallow which I have found consistent all season. Same thing on the Ottawa monday. The fish were barely off their nests.

Rod