How to catch a Gar?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

How to catch a Gar?

Post by Peron »

I have really had a hard time getting out this year and so not a lot of posts. Water levels certainly affected me and while I have had great fun with the catfish and moderate pike action I have not yet gone carp fishing.... miss that!

However, I fully intend to catch a Gar this year. I know I could do it guided with RJ but booking ahead for me is always problematic. I have found spots where I can site-fish them from shore and I get that crankbait reaction bite but I have yet to get a successful hookset.

Soooo... I want to try bait but I have questions:

1) I will use a float but small or large? About 15 " below the surface or deeper?
2) Hook size and type... most sites are southern so I have seen all the debates about trebles and seen both big and small singles recommended. Best for around here?
3) Time of day. I had a gar swim past my bait the other day in the morning. Best after dark with bait?
4) Bait. I have lots of salted minnows...?
5) Hookset? Right away? After first run? 2nd? 3rd? I have seen all of them but again, most of the I input is more south and I have learned that fish are pretty "regionalized" in their behaviour.

Thanks in advance,

Rod
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: How to catch a Gar?

Post by zippyfx »

I caught my first of the season last night (shout out to sckarner for pointing me to a location closer to home).

I have caught all my Gar at night and the following works well for me.
1) I will use a float but small or large? About 15 " below the surface or deeper?
At night I use a used a lighted float. This is may favorite for many reasons: http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/thill-splash-brite

Size of the float does not seem to matter.

Watching it zoom away underwater is a kick.

I usually set the depth to 6-16 inches.
2) Hook size and type... most sites are southern so I have seen all the debates about trebles and seen both big and small singles recommended. Best for around here?
I have caught all my gar on #10 or #12 fine wire trebles. They provide a good penetration of the bony jaw during hookset. I also have started to use a small trebble stinger hook to increase the odds. If the fish holds the bait broadside for longer than expected in increases the odds of hooking I find.

My understanding is that small hooks are used to hook the fish in the jaw while those using larger trebles are trying to pin the jaw shut from the out side with a solid hook set.
3) Time of day. I had a gar swim past my bait the other day in the morning. Best after dark with bait?
Gar tend to feed and be more active at night.

4) Bait. I have lots of salted minnows...?
Salted minnows should work

I use frozen fish chunks in one spot successfully (3-4 inch chunk of mackerel or sardine). But last week was skunked because my offering was too large. Remember they swallow their meal whole.

Best luck is with frozen/dead/live small to medium minnows. They are not overly picky. I have seen one eat a dead frog I kicked off a dock one evening.

They are curious and come close to inspect offering but will move away from a light you turn on.
5) Hookset? Right away? After first run? 2nd? 3rd? I have seen all of them but again, most of the I input is more south and I have learned that fish are pretty "regionalized" in their behaviour.
When you want them to swallow you should set the hook no earlier than after the first run. the longer you wait the bigger the chance of them either swallowing the bait and hooks, or them working the bait free of the hook, or just dropping the bait.

My hit to landing rate tends to be 1 in 3 to 1 in 4; About par from others I have talked to.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Grrrr..... Garrrrr!!!

Went out last night and had one take a long run with my lighted float! Then it dropped it.

Today I went to a gar rich shore spot.... Unfortunatly really weedy. 6 confirmed bites. Three drops (tangled in weeds), 2 missed hooksets and one really big boy that caught me off guard when he went berserk after being hooked and threw the hook when he went arial! Yikes... That could be addictive if I firgure out how to keep the hook in.

Next strategy will be to add a stinger and I think I will use only fluoro leader tied to my braid uni to uni. I had some swivels in play and just too many tangles. Love the thill bobbers but man are they expensive... I used the plain red and white during the day after losing 10 bucks of bobber in the weeds.

Also i think i will use hip waders to get past the heavy reeds but inthis heat..... standing motionless for hours does not work.

Finally, my salted minnows are a bit mushy in this heat. They come of the hook a bit too easily... Think i will move to cut bait that is a bit firmer.

I shall prevail and catch one of those #%*++#~~%%^ things!

Rod
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Some people say, they can't be caught. Only snagged.

All I know is that if you do manage to get one to the boat, don't try to lip him!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

cprince wrote:Some people say, they can't be caught. Only snagged.
I can guarantee you I haven't been snagging Gar on the Ottawa for the past 10 years.

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Peron wrote: Today I went to a gar rich shore spot.... Unfortunately really weedy. 6 confirmed bites. Three drops (tangled in weeds), 2 missed hooksets and one really big boy that caught me off guard when he went berserk after being hooked and threw the hook when he went arial! Yikes... That could be addictive if I firgure out how to keep the hook in.
I love watching Gar go aerial in the moonlight!

Just asking but you are going open bail until just before the hookset right?

Your bound to get yours soon.
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

Wanna catch monster gar? Book a trip with RJ. Been watching/reading his posts for a while now, and his trophy Gars are damn impressive.

I'm sure you'll learn a ton during a guided trip with him.
Sleeve
Participant
Participant

Post by Sleeve »

The easiest way to catch them is using a large jointed rapala with the hooks removed. You then attach gargetter?? (forget the actual name of hair) which comes on a ring to the tail hook. they never shake the lure and you just use small needle nose pliers to pull the hair out the gars teeth once caught. i still have the original set of hair i got and i have caught tons of gar some over 50" with it.