Can't catch big blues and flatheads

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Can't catch big blues and flatheads

Post by Yunan »

I'm having a hard time catching any blues or flat heads or even big channels. Whenever I use worms at night for bottom fishingsh the action is non-stop but never managed to catch any decent size catfish. Tried chicken heart, but only caught a mudpuppy lool. What bait should I use that produced bigger catfish by avoids the small 1 pounder channels? I am planning to pull an all nighter in the next week along the Ottawa river.

Would be thinking of buying some whole sardine and mackerel at the Asian market. Would I be allowed to use them at bait.
Caaatch and Release!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't catch big blues and flatheads

Post by RJ »

First off we don't have Blues or Flatheads here. Big channels aren't easy on the river. The sheer numbers of those smaller fish lends to the fact that you catch mostly them.

You are allowed to use pretty much anything for bait.

RJ
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Post by Yunan »

Oops my bad didn't know the river didn't have those catfish, that's why I never see people catch anything. That was embarrassing :shock: . Thanks for the info!
Caaatch and Release!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I used shrimps as bait when I used to go for cats. You can buy a bag of(75) shelled shrimps for about 7-8 dollars at any grocery store. I used to soak them in a garlic juice and catfish loved them. There are some fair size channel cats in the river but you'll catch a pile of smaller ones too.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Best option is dead minnows or cut up minnows fished on the bottom. The bigger the bait you use the more likley you are to catch a bigger fish but as RJ mentioned gotta find a place that has limited small ones.... Most spots on the Ottawa should give you easy access to 2-4 pounders. Bigger are always a possibility.
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Post by Yunan »

Thanks for all the advice, I'll buy some shrimps and minnow for those weekend. Hopefully can get something over 2 pounds. Lol
Caaatch and Release!