Nearby Lakes With Shore Fishing Access

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Harcombe9923
Participant
Participant

Nearby Lakes With Shore Fishing Access

Post by Harcombe9923 »

Hey guys, I'm looking to spend some time shore fishing this weekend, are there any lakes nearby (1.5-2hrs) with good consistent fishing and access from shore to cast from various spots?
If your rod ain't bending you're just pretending.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Nearby Lakes With Shore Fishing Access

Post by Fishoholic »

Hey man, any particular species in mind or just anything to bend a rod?
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Morris island on the Ottawa River is a good spot. There are a lot of spots you can fish out on the main river or ya can walk up and down the causeway for shallower weedy bays, depending on water level. All kinds of species here. I have personally seen walleye, bass, pike, carp, gar, Muskie, sunfish etc etc. There are some nice trails and picnic areas and plenty of spots to spend a day trying.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Agree with the above posts, essentially, why drive more than 15 minutes when you have the Ottawa and Rideau on your doorstep?

Unless you are targeting something very specific, i would say the best shore fishing in the area is the Ottawa River hands down...
Harcombe9923
Participant
Participant

Post by Harcombe9923 »

I love fishing Bass and although I hate fishing for musky, catching them is fun but pretty much anything that is going to put up a good fight. Are you referring to the Morris Island Conservation Area? I've tried there and didn't catch anything but small bass and panfish, is there a particular spot that's really productive?
If your rod ain't bending you're just pretending.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Yep that's the spot. I've seen some nice bass, walleye and a Muskie pulled outta there. I haven't been in a couple years but when I did go I would fish where the culvert goes under the causeway on both sides. Or i'd walk further down the causeway and there are some paths on the left that bring you to the water and a couple have benches.