Fish behaviour in flood

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Muskie23
Participant
Participant

Fish behaviour in flood

Post by Muskie23 »

I was on the Rideau today at Reeve Craig, and the water level is up a good 14", and really murky. Either rain or the dams are releasing. This seems pretty sudden, I was just here a week ago, and the water level was finally dropped to almost normal.

What do fish do in a sudden increase in water like this? Cuz I couldn't find a bass bite with the usual techniques.
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fish behaviour in flood

Post by Daboss »

Same thing on the Ottawa, tried all the usual stuff, no bites. :cry:
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Same thing on my favorite lake. went out expecting to catch em like always ended up with 2 fish both in the last few casts of the day.

Brian
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

My guess is that they go with the flow or hold tight to structure that is not affected by the current.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

The bite on Muskrat has been total crap for the past week or so as well. Water on Wed was above normal by at least a foot, and by Saturday AM it was 2' higher than that! We found bass super shallow (on peoples' lawns in their 'shoreline' trees at the bases). Winning bites came shallow but there were still the odd deep fish caught. I believe the biggest smallie was a 4# loner (no school) and the biggest largie was 5.61lbs. Not even half of the 40 team field filled out a limit.
Very tough conditions!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Seems like tough sleddin' for shallow fish for the most part. I know when guiding I rarely fish shallower than 8 feet and its been a steady bite since opener.

RJ