Fishing tips

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fishing tips

Post by Walker »

Me and some friends are heading up to the Gouin Reservoir next week, staying on a houseboat, and I was wondering if anyone has fished there and has any tips?
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing tips

Post by Mick »

go to walleye central and search the canada forum for going. lots of quality reports there
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

A good buddy of mine used to fish there many years back and he swore on a white BigO. I don't recall what time of year he went up but the fish seemed to like the wider wobble and the white color. It's a great lure for all species. He always brought backups in case of pike bite offs. I saw what was left of one he had up there and I've owned some ever since. Funny enough, I picked up a pearl one to try and it just doesn't produce like the white. Go figure...
So that's my tip. Sneak some in your box for the trip and you may have that secret bait to outfish your buds. ;)
Enjoy your trip. Have you done the houseboat fishing vacation before? Sounds like it could be a good time. Do you get a smaller boat(s) as well for quick fishing trips?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Smitty,
This will be our first time with a houseboat.It measures 52 long by 24 wide.Comes with one small boat w/motor for every 2 adults.
Should be fun.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

smitty55 wrote:A good buddy of mine used to fish there many years back and he swore on a white BigO. I don't recall what time of year he went up but the fish seemed to like the wider wobble and the white color. It's a great lure for all species. He always brought backups in case of pike bite offs. I saw what was left of one he had up there and I've owned some ever since. Funny enough, I picked up a pearl one to try and it just doesn't produce like the white. Go figure...
So that's my tip. Sneak some in your box for the trip and you may have that secret bait to outfish your buds. ;)
Enjoy your trip. Have you done the houseboat fishing vacation before? Sounds like it could be a good time. Do you get a smaller boat(s) as well for quick fishing trips?

Cheers
x2

I even agree with the "Pearl" comment. I have maybe 8 different big-o lures, and the plain white one is always the #1 producer. In fact, the one that has a bunch of scratches and most of the paint missing (from repeated bites) is my go-to.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

The usual for walleyes;
bottom bouncers with spinners with worms or blood suckers
Use jigs once you find them.
I have always found the 20 foot contour line the best depth for walleyes there, but try different depths.
Anywhere there is a rocky point, there will be walleyes off it.
For large pike find any small stream flowing into the lake and cast the largest red devil or 5 of diamonds spoon you can find and have a rod with enough backbone to reel in the fish.
You will need a GPS in each boat or you will never get back to your houseboat. (or back to the honey hole)
The whole shoreline looks the same everywhere with no hills or cabins to help you remember the way back.

Good luck
David