Mississippi river Almonte

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Mississippi river Almonte

Post by Shaun_300 »

Just wondering if anyone on here fishes between Almonte and Appleton? Only been out once and only caught sunfish. Hopefully will be taking my brother out later to see what we can get.
BrokenThrone
Participant
Participant

Re: Mississippi river Almonte

Post by BrokenThrone »

S

I live in CP and have shore fished quite a bit in that area.
All I've ever gotten was sunfish and the odd bass.

I also fished the Mississippi lake yesterday, and must have caught 30 bluegill using traditional walleye methods. Pretty sure pressure has gotten to that lake.

B
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Shaun there is a nice hole on the river where the power lines cross. Good spot for Walleye. Drag a worm harness or crank through there.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Post by tacklebox »

My brother inlaw and I fished Mississippi lake Friday from 7 am till 1 pm many good bass and many good pike as well and only 1 sunfish .it took awhile to find them but a great day for sure .tacklebox
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Post by Shaun_300 »

Thanks for the replies guys!

My brother and I managed to launch the boat at the fairgrounds at around 4:30. Hit a couple calm shorelines and threw just about everything at them, not even a hit. The shorelines are picture perfect for bass and nothing! Headed up to the dam at Appleton and I threw a white mister twister tipped with a worm. All I caught was a sunfish, lots of other bites which I am assuming were also sunfish. I wanted to try around the powerline but that damn storm moved in REALLY quick. We booked it for the launch and got SOAKED! It just poured cats and dogs. Oh well, it was still fun to get out. Next time I will hit that powerline for sure.

The wife is off tomorrow afternoon so we may try a different body of water, possibly Clayton Lake.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

It's a great little stretch of the river, better in spring in my eyes. Biggest Ontario Largemouth I've ever laid eyes on I saw caught in that stretch.

RJ
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Post by Shaun_300 »

I love big largies! What do you normally catch them on? I normally throw topwater or a chrome big-o. Yesterday I tried spinnerbaits and rubber worms. Definitely gonna spend time around that power line next time.
Muskie23
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie23 »

Prolific largemouth, a few smallmouth, pike....
Bassterpeice Theatre
Participant
Participant

Post by Bassterpeice Theatre »

I would consider that to be my home turf and fish it almost weekly as I live in Almonte. Both shorelines are weed beds and we've caught plenty of largies, mostly on senkos. They are messing with the water levels in almonte though and that may be calming the bite down, I don't know. I was out last weekend I only caught one but usually we have pretty good luck there. We launch at Appleton though as the water levels are usually too low to get too far up river from the fair grounds.
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Post by Shaun_300 »

I'll have to pick some of those up! Really appreciate the input guys.

I've been launching at the fairgrounds. Very shallow for the first couple hundred yards before you can even think about getting up on plane.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Shaun_300 wrote:I love big largies! What do you normally catch them on? I normally throw topwater or a chrome big-o. Yesterday I tried spinnerbaits and rubber worms. Definitely gonna spend time around that power line next time.

Take your best most expensive frog. Throw it at the weeds....watch it get destroyed by all kinds of pike.

Senkos for largies.
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Post by Shaun_300 »

Finally got into some fish yesterday! Caught them all on purple flaked plastic worms in the middle of the afternoon. All right in the middle of the river in 15-20 feet. First one was a walleye, was surprised to get that in the middle of the afternoon. Also got a few smallies. 2 of them jumped at the boat and spat the hook at me. Oh well, brought one walleye and one bass home for a snack.