PEI Raod Trip

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

PEI Raod Trip

Post by zippyfx »

A big Shoutout to Maple for all the helpful tips he sent me.

The family hit the road and headed for PEI. I got one of there supper cheap family licenses ($10.00 for $5.00) and I managed to find sometime to wet a line.

We headed out for some Deep Sea Fishing...

And the Mackerel were biting well.... Lots of double headers to keep the kids pumped...

I manged to catch a couple while I was fixing birds nests (thumb boys, use the thumb!)

Unfortunately the cod bite was slow....

But I managed to land the only legal cod on the boat for the trip...

Two new species for the bucket list for me (at least since I have started tracking)....

I spent two morning at the fishing dock in Morel near the cottage we rented. The first morning I noticed no major activity on the water though the current was fast as the tide was changing. As my casting was not leading to anything I changed to micro mode. In a back eddy I noticed a number of micros. Large ones near the bottom, smaller ones near the top. Since the only place on the island that carries worms in the summer was 45 minutes away I did not have worms and switched to using pieces Berkely red crawlers (Power Bait)...

All the fish were feeding aggressively in the current. The small fish showed absolutely zero interest in the fake worm product. The larger ones did though but the plastic worms slid along the hook covering the tip or the gap of the Tanago hooks. After three fish lost as I was trying to get them into my hand I manged to start landing them... They turned out to be Atlantic Silversides:

After doing some touring with the family we went through Charlottetown and I picked up some worms... Though after a day in the car they had died but they had not gone soft and were good enough for me to use.

My next trip out the current was slower and the small fish were there but not feeding as aggressively.... I did see what appeared 2 trout flip during my session but nothing would bite my lure or worms.

The Silversides were in the area and made periodic appearances as very fast moving schools hugging the bottom, but were not actively feeding and just zoomed by. With some coaxing the smaller fish would sniff out the worm offering but were very tentative. Occasionally an emboldened fish would just dart up and strike the bait. I caught a number of these... two more of the bucket list....

A ninespine stickleback:

A threespine stickleback:

Not prolific but still nice to catch new fish.