Ottawa River (Deux-Rivieres/Mattawa area)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gerbz
Participant
Participant

Ottawa River (Deux-Rivieres/Mattawa area)

Post by gerbz »

Hey everybody! Been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register an account.

I am heading to our family cottage on the Ottawa River from August 2nd-August 8th and I was curious if anybody had advice as to which lures/bait to use that late in the summer? I have a few secret spots that are typically filled with walleye and i'd love to target. I had planned to try with just a snelled hook and sinker with a live minnow for one and also jigging using worms. Any other recommendations in case these options fail?

Our cottage is very secluded and one of the only cottages on the water there for many KMs on each side but plan to maybe troll the 3 islands behind Santa's Island. Any spot recommendations? I'm not interested in fishing near Mattawa since that's a good boat distance away.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ottawa River (Deux-Rivieres/Mattawa area)

Post by moonshine »

Mouth of the dumoine is always good. That stretch of river seems to work better with worms than minnows. I would use a pickerel rig as well.
Fisherman are the biggest liars.