Round Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisher4
Participant
Participant

Round Lake

Post by Fisher4 »

Hey guys,
Going up to round lake this weekend camping at Bonnechere, was wondering if anyone have been there this year or has any knowledge of the the lake. Would like to my brother and father on some fish.

Thanks
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Re: Round Lake

Post by Shaun_300 »

There is very good fishing in Round Lake, caught many of monster smallies in there! Fish around shoals and weed beds that's where you'll find them. There's a big island on the east end of the lake. In and around there is good. There's also walleye and lake trout in the lake as well. I believe it's close to 200 feet of water in the middle, never tried fishing lakers in there but if I did I'd be between 100 and 200 FOW with lead core line trolling a Williams wobbler!

Good luck and let us know how you make out! 8)
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Hey! The park and bonnechere river are beautiful! Hopefully you got a site on the river!

As for fishing: just stay away from the north side of the lake. The best spots for bass are south side, and behind the islands at the east end of lake (close to foy pp). Apparently just before dusk there are some big largemouth to be caught behind those Islands. I was told pickerel are in the river that connects round lake to golden lake, but you'll only catch em in the spring/fall so I aimed for bass...please report back and let us know how it went :)
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Post by Shaun_300 »

Yes I forgot to mention the Bonnechere River is very good too for bass. I basically grew up on Golden Lake so I know it and the river up to the Tramore dam like the back of my hand. But there were times especially when the walleye ban was on Golden Lake we would throw a boat in the back of the truck and head up to Round Lake for a fish. Always did well.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I'm heading to Bonnechere PP this weekend too! I'll bring a bit of my gear (as well as the kids' gear). No boat but we're going to try shore fishing in the river in and around the campground.
I was on Round one year and caught a whack of small largies in the weedbed at the north end, but was only in a small tinny and keeping the boat fishably-still in 20mph winds was troublesome. All fish came on spinnerbaits.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

Round lake has some good spots, that we shore fished. But I spent my time on the Bonnechere river, when we got our cottage on Tramore road. Caught lots of bass and pike near the Tramore Bridge. Also If I remember right on the second river bend from Golden lake, was a good fishing spot near the rocks. It was a favorite of some Americans that were staying at the golden lake cottages. I got bass and perch there.

Also there are a few shoals in Golden lake that are good Walleye spots. When we had a cottage on Golden lake, we hit them every summer.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Had a cottage on the lake for 20 yrs.......find the shoals, and you'll find the shmallies. For shore fishing, I recommend taking a drive down Turner's Camp Road. It follows the Bonnechere all the way to the Algonquin Park border. Hanging a line off the Tramore Road bridge works too.....best of luck! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
snowwhite
Participant
Participant

golden lake

Post by snowwhite »

Gord wrote:Had a cottage on the lake for 20 yrs.......find the shoals, and you'll find the shmallies. For shore fishing, I recommend taking a drive down Turner's Camp Road. It follows the Bonnechere all the way to the Algonquin Park border. Hanging a line off the Tramore Road bridge works too.....best of luck! :D :)
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

My first time fishing Round Lake ...I caught a Nickel on a Big-o :shock: 8) 8)
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017