rideau river virgin

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kickurbass
Participant
Participant

rideau river virgin

Post by kickurbass »

hi fish hawk friends,

im going bass fishing on the rideau river at taylor park and its my first time
on that river, is there any tricks, lures suggestion,colors or anything that can help
me find and catch those green fish especially this season with the weather we have?

thanks everyone!
Bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!
csedev
Participant
Participant

Re: rideau river virgin

Post by csedev »

Hi there,

Just got off the Rideau and had a lot of luck with live bait and a simple jig. Throw a jig on a minnow and fish near the weed line, and you'll be set for a god time.

C
------------------------------------------
Christopher Smith, Novice Fisherman
Ottawa, Ontario

Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky.
But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

For artificial lures you can't go wrong with a senko in colour 222, green with red, black and red fleck. I'll also drag tubes in the same colour although in the tubes they call it green neon. Drift along the weed edge letting the current do most of the work. You can also go tight to shore if your boat can get through the weeds and throw frogs tight to the shoreline.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

I fish the river somewhat regularly, but have never fished that section. 

Baits I bring to the river:

Bring a spinnerbait, we all have our favorites but I like to have a white/white spinnerbait. Double willow will work, but so does a single Colorado. Keep it light, I prefer 3/8oz. on the river.

Bring some hollow body frogs. Something light( white or yellow) and something dark(black or brown)

Bring some 5in. & 4in. creature and craw baits, some 3/4oz. 1oz and 1 1/2oz punch weights and a good straight shank flipping hook.

Color is a personal thing. I suspect you'd get 5 different answers from 5 different people. If you have confidence in that bait and color....that's the bait you should be using. I prefer patterns that imitate crawfish, sunfish and black/blue. Not sure what black/blue represents but it seems to work in any body of water around here, the same as crawfish for that matter.

Although all that slop looks the same, trust me it's not. I like to find pad beds, especially those that have been filled in with grass. Milfoil that has reached the surface and is spreading out, again especially those areas filled in with grass. These areas I approach with the spinner bait, switch to the frog then pitch/flip the area with a creature/craw. I always check some flats with the spinnerbait as well. 

If you start catching fish pay attention to where they are in relation to the shore and channel.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Dropshot'r essentially covered what I typically use on the river and in that stretch of it.

Frogs have essentially been the only thing to produce for me this year but the jig and walk the dog style baits usually work wonders there.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

Totally agree with the tips given. That area is actually pretty good. Nice weed beds up and downstream from that launch. And the channel has some nice deep spots too. The only thing I could add - which has been really productive is looking for nice healthy green weeds near the creeks and drains in that area. I stick with Senkos and Spinners.

Best of luck!
Moobe
Fin and Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Fin and Feather »

Just a heads up as there is a tournament tomorrow out of Taylor Park.
kickurbass
Participant
Participant

Post by kickurbass »

thanks everyone for the great info
i went there tried all your tips and it did work but i got only small fish
like no lunker. maybe i was doing something wrong i dont know but im going back at it
this week to try again it wont win on me thats for sure!
Bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

PM sent
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

1 oz Tungsten weight and your favorite plastic and punch every weed mat you can find. Heavy line and gear and giver.

RJ