MNR stocking private lakes?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
loophole
Participant
Participant

MNR stocking private lakes?

Post by loophole »

I was using the MNR Crown Land Atlas website to find out where I could get into two lakes stocked by the Ministry. One is Little Round Lake on Road 509 near Sharbot Lake and the other is Pennick Lake, further up Rd 509. Both lakes are entirely surrounded by private land. There is no obvious public access. Unless I'm reading the map incorrectly. Does anyone know if I can fish either of those lakes without being charged with trespassing?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: MNR stocking private lakes?

Post by smitty55 »

To the best of my knowledge if the ministry stocks any lake there must be public access available somewhere, even if there is only private land there would have to be some agreement with landowners to allow access. Also I wouldn't be so quick to think that any government website is entirely accurate. The fish-on line site (https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.c ... cale=en-US) does have a "how to get there" option for all the lakes they stock so I would try that first. Otherwise to be real sure I would contact the ministry to find out.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Thanks Smitty. That's what I expected too, so I was surprised when the other website showed both lakes surrounded by privately owned land. I can't seem to find the "How to get there" link. Could you be more specific about where it is?

Marty
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by topten14 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You must lose a fly to catch a trout"
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

loophole wrote:Thanks Smitty. That's what I expected too, so I was surprised when the other website showed both lakes surrounded by privately owned land. I can't seem to find the "How to get there" link. Could you be more specific about where it is? Marty
Sorry, it actually says get directions in the bottom left side of the page which brings up google maps and does show two walking trails in to Pennick for example. No stocking info for that lake though.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

smitty55 wrote: snip....The fish-on line site does have a "how to get there" option for all the lakes they stock so I would try that first. Otherwise to be real sure I would contact the ministry to find out... end snip
As Smitty said, - contact the ministry.

The "Get Directions" link, I assure you with 100% certainty, is not a guaranteed legal access. Some might, but many of the "Get Directions" links will put you in a location with private land between you and the water, whereas an email to the MNR will give you the proper access and a record of the communication to protect you from trespass charges.
I usually print the MNR response and carry it with me.
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

Penyck was once a brook trout fishery, unknown if their remains some.
It is now stocked with rainbows.
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

topten14, thanks for the 2 maps. It appears that I can walk into Penyck off the road on the left where it gets very close to the water. I'm pretty sure the FishOnLine site still shows brook trout being stocked. Where does it say they are putting rainbows in now?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Actually Fish-on line shows no stocking info for that lake. It does show brook trout as a species but no confirmed catches, not that I really trust that option on the site. I don't see it on any of my stocking lists from Bancroft or Pembroke either, but did find an old post from here on the Kingston area stocking that shows Pennick getting 2500 rainbows back in 2005. http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9467

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Little round lake is no longer stocked.

I used to fish it (never caught anything). Access is from the south end which touches the K&P trail.

My understanding is that the property owners were granted riparian rights to the lake as private and that is why the ministry stopped stocking it. I haven't confirmed the rumor...