Invasive Species Awareness

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Invasive Species Awareness

Post by Lunker Larry »

Fish and Game Clubs can contact OFAH Invading Species Awareness Program to get invasive species signage to put up at boat launches.

A great / easy to do project! Also helps us implement the new (soon to be approved) Fisheries Management Plan for the Ottawa River.
The Province is Working With Partners to Create Awareness of Invasive Species and Protect the Environment

Ontario continues to combat invasive plants and animals in order to protect the environment and allow people across the province to continue to enjoy rivers, lakes, parks and other green spaces. Read the news release.
https://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2017/08/ ... ecies.html
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Invasive Species Awareness

Post by zippyfx »

Related e-mail I got this week:
Hello City Stream Watchers,

We have an upcoming workshop on invasive species that will be held at our main office, 3889 Rideau Valley Drive, on Saturday, August 26, at 10a.m. The aim of the workshop is to get you familiar with some of the more common aquatic and terrestrial invasive species in our area, to give you an understanding of why invasive species are harmful to ecosystems, and to explain some of the steps you can take to prevent them from spreading. There will be a slideshow as well as a few specimens for reference. The workshop will be given by our own Fiona Chapman, and will last approximately 75 minutes. Limited parking will be available at the main entrance, though you are welcome to park in either of the adjacent gravel parking lots for the duration of the workshop.

Please note that the workshop will be limited to approximately 15 people. If you would like to attend, please reply to this email and I will reply to let you know if there is still space.

I hope you can attend!

Sincerely,

Gregory Melvin
Aquatic Resource Technician - City Stream Watch
Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
greg.melvin@rvca.ca
613-692-3571 ext. 1199
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Re: Invasive Species Awareness

Post by BC FD »

Got stopped by the OPP a few weeks ago. Officers were great. Had a great talk with them.
Asked them what they did when they went from one lake to another.
There is a lake not far from ours with a heavy contamination of zebra mussels apparently.
Said they pulled all the drains.
Used to wash down with bleach but not any more.
If we are all over recreational boaters about invasive species , I think these guys should be part of the program as well.
Just my 2 cents.
I would welcome other comments.
Mitch