Looking for White Lake tips

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

Looking for White Lake tips

Post by thegillimonster »

Hello Fishhawk,

I'm trying desperately to get my girlfriend a good fish out of the tandem kayak before the year's up. I've spent time out at Petrie alone getting skunked on a frog and senko over and over hoping to find fish.

We've rented the tandem for the weekend and I'm taking her up to White Lake, as I heard the fish are abundant and it's supposed to be a nice cottage area. Any tips to find bass (large or small) and what to use for them? I'll have my fish finder in the boat so tips on what to look for would be fabulous. We're planning on launching at the end of Point Road (east side of the northern bay) and hitting the largemouth and smallmouth spots listed on fishhawk's angler map. If there's any spot you think would be easier we're flexible since it's just a kayak on a car.

Thanks in advance!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Looking for White Lake tips

Post by lape0019 »

Seriously, launch and start fishing. You won't end up with quality, but you will get quantity. It isn't really known for producing many large fish but you should have a fun day.

I've caught them on everything there but topwater has always been my fav on that lake.
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

lape0019 wrote:Seriously, launch and start fishing. You won't end up with quality, but you will get quantity. It isn't really known for producing many large fish but you should have a fun day.

I've caught them on everything there but topwater has always been my fav on that lake.
Thanks! Topwater is definitely my favorite so I'll hook her up with a skitter pop. I might buy a spook and give that a shot.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I really like using the pencil 110 which is a little longer than a spook but all sizes should work. There are a few spots with slop that a frog would be good for but for the most part, the lake is pretty open.
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

lape0019 wrote:I really like using the pencil 110 which is a little longer than a spook but all sizes should work. There are a few spots with slop that a frog would be good for but for the most part, the lake is pretty open.
Where do you find that in Ottawa? I'll definitely try the frog on the slop, that's my favorite kind of fishing. Are there any of those spots in the northernmost bay?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

If I had to guess, I would imagine Sail might have them but no guarantees.

I bought mine at Paddletales in Winchester. They are a little heavier than a spook and seem to have a lot louder knock to them.
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

Well we made it out and found a few fish. Three hours out and she caught two 1.5 lb smallies and a reasonable size perch while reeling in her senko. I couldn't catch anything topwater, spook, skitter pop, frog, nada. It's probably our fault for going out mid afternoon! Never saw water deeper than ten feet either which doesn't help.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Where did you launch? There's deeper water in the main channel and around Pickerel Bay. Much of the lake is apx 10ft, and you should be able to catch plenty of 1-2lb largies in that depth.

E
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

Eric,

We put in on the east side of the big shallow northmost bay. We fished a worm, a frog, and a grub up there and didn't see or catch squat. On the way back we passed one of the weed beds in the middle of the bay that looked like it might have been a good hump to fish - but we were tired and getting sunburnt so we didn't stop. We made it to the first island in that channel (has a cottage on it) and found a little bit of deeper water but still only found those two 1.5 pound smallies. Lots of perch around though, I got an okay size perch on a dropshot. I think next time we will launch further down in the lake, maybe on that first arm that extends towards the east. I have a fishfinder for the kayak now so hopefully I can find some humps and get some big smallies.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

thegillimonster wrote:Eric,

We put in on the east side of the big shallow northmost bay. We fished a worm, a frog, and a grub up there and didn't see or catch squat. On the way back we passed one of the weed beds in the middle of the bay that looked like it might have been a good hump to fish - but we were tired and getting sunburnt so we didn't stop. We made it to the first island in that channel (has a cottage on it) and found a little bit of deeper water but still only found those two 1.5 pound smallies. Lots of perch around though, I got an okay size perch on a dropshot. I think next time we will launch further down in the lake, maybe on that first arm that extends towards the east. I have a fishfinder for the kayak now so hopefully I can find some humps and get some big smallies.
Have to admit, I've never fished that far north of the lake. But if you launch in that first arm to the East, you'll be closer to the marina, and the fishing there is pretty consistent for 1-1.5lb largies

But still pretty shallow until you get out to the main channel. http://www.cedarcove.ca/map-of-white-lake.html

E
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Fished White Lake yesterday with a group of kids for a charity action Charles Sim and I donated to. It was the worst cold front of the year by a landslide. I was digging for all the clothes I could find in the truck and the boat.. :lol:

We threw Senko's for the most part along the whole North shore to try to stay away from the stiff cold North wind and we put 50 Largies over the gunnels in 6 hours between the 2 boats. Kinda slow for White but with that front I was surprised we got a bite at all... :lol:

RJ
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

RJ wrote:Fished White Lake yesterday with a group of kids for a charity action Charles Sim and I donated to. It was the worst cold front of the year by a landslide. I was digging for all the clothes I could find in the truck and the boat.. :lol:

We threw Senko's for the most part along the whole North shore to try to stay away from the stiff cold North wind and we put 50 Largies over the gunnels in 6 hours between the 2 boats. Kinda slow for White but with that front I was surprised we got a bite at all... :lol:

RJ
RJ,

Were you on the North shore of the northern bay or the north shore of one of the arms? I'm actually heading out this Sunday.