Ottawa Shore Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
WhatIsThisCarp
Participant
Participant

Ottawa Shore Fishing

Post by WhatIsThisCarp »

Hello all,

Not trying to ask straight up for all of your secret spots... but hoping for some guidance. I am (unfortunately) a shore fisherman roaming around Ottawa. I have had reasonably good success at Dow's lake/canal but keep coming up dry on the Ottawa river and Rideau river. I have tried all different baits but have yet to catch much more than puny rock bass. I know there are monsters in there, I just don't know how accessible they are from shore at this point... Any tips on spots (accessible by bike), baits, and/or seasonal fish tendencies would be much appreciated! I am also open to teaming up with a more savvy Ottawa shore fisherman if that is something that someone is interested in. Thanks!
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

Re: Ottawa Shore Fishing

Post by thegillimonster »

I've had reasonable luck at Bate island fishing both north and south sides near the rapids outflow. Nothing huge but I did get a keeper walleye there once.

Ultimately right now is a hard time to fish. The Rideau is still high and tough to fish and the ottawa just hasn't really produced for me. I fish from a kayak and one or two bass a night is what I usually get, unfortunately. I'm still learning though.
azabache
Participant
Participant

Re: Ottawa Shore Fishing

Post by azabache »

WhatIsThisCarp wrote:Hello all,

Not trying to ask straight up for all of your secret spots... but hoping for some guidance. I am (unfortunately) a shore fisherman roaming around Ottawa. I have had reasonably good success at Dow's lake/canal but keep coming up dry on the Ottawa river and Rideau river. I have tried all different baits but have yet to catch much more than puny rock bass. I know there are monsters in there, I just don't know how accessible they are from shore at this point... Any tips on spots (accessible by bike), baits, and/or seasonal fish tendencies would be much appreciated! I am also open to teaming up with a more savvy Ottawa shore fisherman if that is something that someone is interested in. Thanks!
Welcome to the site, you will get a lot of good info here. I am also a shore bound fisherman & more recently both Rideau & Ottawa Rivers close to shore( look for sandy bottom, rock piles ) have produced some largemouth & smallmouth bass, but not consistent. Search the site ,here you will find many regulars contribute some well known spots & applications for certain areas.
Time of day seems to be a factor in the past few weeks, the weather too . Early AM & Dusk have produced most bites & fish for me. Try to Google spots around bridges of the Rideau River & travel the Rideau river pathway.IE. start around Billings,work your way up to Robinson field , keep in mind now there is a lot of construction on the north side of the River pathway and around the Gee Gees Stadium bridge( LRT construction).
Look for drop offs or any points,corners that have slack water, there may be some bigger fish there. Under some bridges may hold fish too.
Had luck with several species using 4 & 5" yum dinger worms on weightless wacky rigs ( current will drift it in front of fish), white or chartreuse spinnerbaits with colorado blades( more noise in dark water) & sq. bill crank baits( I have way too many ... :lol: )
Normally I try to go out at dusk & with school starting soon Junior will come with me too :D
We will be on the Canal water ways & send a report soon...

Good luck & post your catch!

Azabache & Junior