Newish to Fishing - Some help please

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Whateverbites
Participant
Participant

Re: Newish to Fishing - Some help please

Post by Whateverbites »

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll stick to my rods limitations foe the time being, but I'll try to get down to Winchester next year if I want to fish heavier weeds etc. Looks like an awesome store.

Fishing shows and whatnot always say what they are doing, but don't say DON'T fish lillies with a huge frog on a weak rod/line. Guess they assume you aren't an idiot.

Worst thing is losing a fish with lure/line so want to avoid doing again. So far so good!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Going out on a limb here but is the model number on the blank PFLPRES2-662M? This would mean it is a 6'6 Medium rod. If so, this will be good for a couple of baits but what Shawn D recommended would be more suitable for the frogs you are throwing and heavier texas rigs and such.

The rod you bought should do many things alright but will only excel in lighter fishing applications (drop shot, wacky, weightless and small weighted, texas rigs and possibly a spinnerbait and buzzbait would be alright. You'll be able to do some light cranking on that as well)

Although there is nothing wrong with the fishing stores in Ottawa, if you decide to buy another rod, I always recommend heading to Paddletales as well. For a small store in the middle of nowhere, he has a huge selection of everything you could want for bass fishing along with the knowledge to back up his recommendations which the other places can be hit and miss with.

Adam
Whateverbites
Participant
Participant

Post by Whateverbites »

That's the correct model and thanks for the advice. Staying off the frogs and anything heavy for now, but having a great time fishing for bass. If anyone in Kingston-Ottawa region wants $50 and can stand another guy in their boat, shoot me a PM. I've got time on my hands and trying to learn.