Finally found dinner in the Downtown Rideau River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
thegillimonster
Participant
Participant

Finally found dinner in the Downtown Rideau River

Post by thegillimonster »

Last night I found a spot on the Rideau River downtown (near New Edinburgh park) that holds walleye! I've been fishing this area for two years and only ever seen smallmouth bass and pike (slimy, bitey, bad-smelling, lure-stealing buggers). I have caught them in the Ottawa late at night when they're in the shallows but this is my first time finding their actual daytime habitat. There's a huge tree fallen over into the current in about ten feet of water, and they're all hanging out underneath it. I caught two keeper sized guys last night and took home one for dinner - 19 inches!

I've been fishing a dropshot out of the kayak a lot lately as it catches both bass and walleye - and it paid off last night. 3" chartreuse/white minnow on a Gamakatsu 1/0 dropshot hook about 15 inches off the bottom and something was smoking it every cast. I pulled in probably five walleye and two 1.5lb bass before I decided that I didn't want my dinner to go bad in the back hold of the yak. 6'6" Ugly Stik GX2 (not very sensitive but unbreakable) and Shimano Sienna spinning reel (love these for the money, I have two) with cheap 10lb mono. I'll post a photo later!

Posting so that new fishermen like me have some hope :)
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Re: Finally found dinner in the Downtown Rideau River

Post by Harpee61 »

Happy for you. Keep it up!
Harcombe9923
Participant
Participant

Post by Harcombe9923 »

Are you referring to the tree just down from where the bridges crosses on rideau? I caught a real nice smallie off that tree myself about a month back, been meaning to hit it up again.
If your rod ain't bending you're just pretending.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Better keep that spot a secret.
streamfisher93
Participant
Participant

Post by streamfisher93 »

I've been working in the park lately and through a senko on my lunch break above the small arc bridge, surprisingly deep and looked suitable for bass, awesome you caught some eyes there congrats!
Do what you love and let it kill you, we are all floatin down the river of life may as well fish until the ride ends.