The sea was angry that day, my friends ....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

The sea was angry that day, my friends ....

Post by zippyfx »

" - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

My friends and i wanted to try something different so we booked a shark fishing trip out of Portland Maine. It was not what we expected..... The waters were rough with 4-6 ft swells. Two of my pals were taken out of action due to motion sickness..... that left me and my niece to deal with the fish....

Unfortunately the the sudden change in the weather had the fish off.... It was a long day but we did manage to catch one Blue shark

It was like a comedy sketch we promised my niece the first fish.. after about 6 hours of waiting... I spotted the first fish and yelled out "Fin!"; unfortunately the shark broke the line about 10 seconds into the fight. But given the weight of the fish it was obvious she was going to need some help. she was 19 and about 110 lbs.... the same shark came around a couple of minutes later (turns out he was never hooked, just wrapped).

I held the rod up in front of her.... Her dad held her by the belt.... All she had to do was reel.... The shark went on 3 nice runs before we brought it in. At one point she was sitting on the guides knee....

A couple of sharks were in the vicinity and toying with the bait but there were no other takers....

For those of us who held our cookies down it was a great trip..... We manged to see a number of whale spouts, a couple of fin whales and pod of dolphins heading by the boat.

The guide recommended August for calmer water... Might giver a go again next year.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The sea was angry that day, my friends ....

Post by RJ »

Shark! Kinda cool. We did a trip off of Nova Scotia years ago. Those swells always get someone... :lol:

RJ