Flyfishing Newbie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Flyfishing Newbie

Post by Yunan »

Just got a 8'6 fly fishing rod. Know absolutely nothing about fly fishing but I had to try it out. Some people tell me it's fun and easy, some tells me otherwise. I always wanted to catch a carp on a flie but I guess it's too late for that this year. I have a couple little poppers and some flies that sink I believe. Don't know what the fly lures are called lol. What would be my best bet to target at this time and is there anything to watch out for to prevent any bird nesting in the reel?
Any advice for a first time flyfishing newbie? :D
Caaatch and Release!
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Re: Flyfishing Newbie

Post by tmacinc »

Depending what weight rod you have, its great bass fishing this time of year on a fly rod. Whooly buggers and poppers are great for this.

You shouldn't get bird nesting in your reel. set your drag for what you'll be fighting, and you have your line off the reel floating when your casting. I only reel in with the reel if I catch something large.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Flyfishing Newbie

Post by zippyfx »

Not to late in the season for carp.... The water is still warm and there are still hatches occurring so I still think they still could be caught on the fly.